Search Unity

Animation not fully importing into Unity

Discussion in 'Animation' started by jchallenorstaffs, Jan 27, 2020.

1. jchallenorstaffs

jchallenorstaffs

Hi everyone,

I've made a book in 3DS Max that's animated to open and turn a page. For some reason the animation isn't fully importing into Unity. The spine of the book will open but the pages don't bend, and the single page turning animation does not play.

This is the animation rendered out of Max to show what it should look like:

When the animation plays in Unity (i cant record it, sorry), the page blocks dont animate at all, they stay stuck as cube shapes and move with the spine, but don't animate to bend as they should. The page doesn't turn either, it's supposed to turn between frames 101 to 200. This is how it looks in Unity:

I have no idea why it's doing this. To provide as much information as I can, the spine is rigged to a three bone skeleton to open but the pages are not, they're animated using spline tools and keyframes. Is there an export setting I've missed or something? How can I get all the animations to play properly in Unity?

Thank you for your time!

2. StaticClass

StaticClass

I've never used 3DS Max but in Blender there are these useful things called constraints. When I am animating constraint's properties (for example Follow Path) in Blender before exporting I have to BAKE the animation and then Unity will import it properly. Unity doesn't support constraint import from Blender as is.

I think in your case you are using (maybe spline tools) something in the animation process that Unity doesn't support.
    I would try and look for an option to bake/convert the turn and bend animation OR use other Unity-friendly way of animating pages.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/HOWTO-ImportObjectsFrom3DApps.html
    https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-...e-path-animation-in-unity/m-p/8209840#M162819

3. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

There is an Import Constraints check box in Unity 2019.3, though I've never used it.

4. neoshaman

neoshaman

Unity import only bones and blendshape, any other system need to be baked to that. That's the usual in game engine. It's probably possible to write a tool to do the same thing as you want though.