Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Animation Master

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Alessandro, May 23, 2007.

1. Alessandro

Alessandro

Hi everybody, this is my first post!
    I'm looking for a character animation tool supporting fbx. At the moment we are using Cheetah, that is really a good software but we would like to use some motion capture libraries and also import bvh motion from Poser.
    We own an old, dusty, Animation Master ('98 version :eek:) and we're wondering if it worth an upgrade.
    So, is there anybody using AM?
    If yes, which is the import pipeline and the overall impression on the latest AM versions?

Thanks
    Ale

2. nickavv

nickavv

Welcome to the forums! I had never heard of AM before, but checking out their site, they don't look very serious (think of it as KidPix vs Photoshop). I don't know too much about animating (you can see that I just did my first one in the Showcase), but I'd want something that looked a little more professional if I were you.

3. Alessandro

Alessandro

Yes, the their website is really awful but the software should be really effective for character animations, out of curiosity, have a look at a couple of tutorial movies:

http://www.hash.com/2007web/vm.htm

Ale

4. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

There are a lot of HAM users who rave about the software. One problem I've had to ex[ploring it is that there is no demo of their Mac version. No demo, no sale.

5. Alessandro

Alessandro

No demo... :eek: yes, unbelievable, I really can't understand their strategies. I've planned to download the demo tomorrow, whatever, I'll try to mail them asking for a demo.

6. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I've tried a number of times. No response ever.

7. jeffcraighead

jeffcraighead

I'm an old AM user (for about 6 years) and I think it's a great tool, however it is difficult to export to other apps. I have to disagree with Moldorma about the quality/capability of the AM. It is quite robust w.r.t animaiton and modeling, however it doesn't do polygons well, splines and patches are used exclusively, which are converted to polys are render time. The SDK is available which could be used to create an FBX exporter if anyone were so inclined, however I've never gotten around to it. I agree that they need a demo. But for doing animation/rendering work it is a great app.

Jeff

8. Alessandro

Alessandro

@DaveyJJ
    I've received a reply from Hash about the demo version:
    They are sorry but can't help me.
    No info at all on import/export formats. A really scaring tech support!

@Jeff
    In which way do you use AM with Unity? if you do of course.
    Do you use a file converter?

Ale

9. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

Actually I have been using A:M for numerous years (13 or so maybe more) It is a great animation product.

On par with Max and Maya.

And I would have to say it does Polygons quite well. It can import polys but exporting polys is quite robust you can adjust to export a set amount of polys per spline patch.

It's real power is in animation. AND there is quite a good pipeline for getting A:M character models exported into FBX for use in Unity. BUT it involves having a PC. The way you do it is:

1. use the AMXTEX plugin with A:M to export .x (directx files) found here: http://www.obsidiangames.com/products/amxtex/ (which he is now giving away for free)

2. use MilkShape 3D to convert from .x to .fbx.(cost $25)http://chumbalum.swissquake.ch/index.html

Works really good for animated characters and textures.

Even though it may not seem like it, the A:M guys are a great bunch of guys. They can seem very closed regarding their software. But they A:M is a very, very focused tool for animation.

If you need to do character animation for Unity and use animation tools on par with Maya, I would highly recommend Animation:Master.

10. Alessandro

Alessandro

Thanks, despite the lack of a demo version I think I'll give AM a try.
    Just another thing: is the licence cross platform? If yes we could build models and animations on Mac and use Win only for the export.

Ale

11. jeffcraighead

jeffcraighead

Last time I upgraded it was crossplatform. It uses the CD as the license key.

12. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

Also remember, since you had a version before, it will only cost $99 to upgrade. Since you had any previous versions. Yes the license is cross platform for Mac and PC, use the same disk as the key. Or you can purchase a usb dongle so you don't have to use the disk.

13. Alessandro

Alessandro

Thanks everybody for the infos, looks like I've found a good character animation tool :D