Search Unity

Bug Animation jitter with IK

Discussion in 'Animation Rigging' started by JohnTomorrow, Jun 18, 2021.

1. JohnTomorrow

JohnTomorrow

Hi I am trying to resolve an issue I am experiencing with the two-bone IK constraint. I have a character that can climb walls. To do this I have a playable graph which plays a rootmotion animation. Recently, I've added Animation Rigging to help position the hands on to objects. This works, however there is a slight jitter that can be seen on the hands as the animation updates. I've tried changing the animators update method settings to physics but it did not change the behavior.

What would cause these two graphs to update at different rates? Shouldn't they both update at the same time the animator updates?

2. JohnTomorrow

JohnTomorrow

Found the cause, it is due to interpolation on my character controller on update vs movement on fixed. Animation rigging is working as intended.

3. mihaits

mihaits

hi, what was your approach to solving the jitter issue?

4. JohnTomorrow

JohnTomorrow

It was a timing issue involving my character movement code. The movement code is updated in fixed update. To make things look smooth I interpolate positions during regular update. I had a bug in my code where the hand positions were updating at a different time then the movement code causing jitter. Going through the different update loops and moving it to update at the correct times fixed the issue. Again, very specific to my code, not an animation rigging issue.