Search Unity

Animation in timeline won't play in build

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by huzhangyang, Jan 14, 2020.

1. huzhangyang

huzhangyang

I'm not sure what might be the cause of this issue, if it is because of Unity version, animation system, timeline system or addressable.

So I have a timeline contains only an animation clip (character attack animation), and it worked as a charm in editor, but in build the animation won't play. The playable asset is loaded by addressable asset system. I checked the following things:

1. The animation clip and the playable asset is loaded into memory, according to profiler.
    2. The signal on playable is fired and received correctly so the game can proceed but only the animation was somehow skipped.
    3. I tried different timeline package version and addressable package version but no luck.

Build is on Windows X64, Mono backend.
    Unity 2019.3.0f1-f5
    Timeline Package 1.2.6~1.2.10
    Addressable Package 1.3.8~1.5.0

Attached Files:

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

It sounds like the animation clip itself is not loaded. Is it a recorded clip or an extenal animation? If it's recorded, I suspect it would have been packed with the .playable file, otherwise it may need to be loaded separately. It sounds like timeline lost the link to that file.

3. huzhangyang

huzhangyang

Hi, it is an external animation. Strangely, as I said, I can see the clip file is loaded in memory, juduging from profiler result from a development build.

I do have submitted a bug report for this. (Case 1211345) TIM图片20200115162726.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  4. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Ok, I wish I had the answer, but I'm not sure why the anim clip isn't being referenced properly. Thanks for submitted a repro case, that will make it much easier to track down.

5. huzhangyang

huzhangyang

OK, this seems has something to do with Addressables. The animation plays when I choose "Use Asset Database" or "Simulate Groups" in Play Mode Script setting, while at "Use Existing Build" the animation won't play. I posted another post on the Addressable forum: https://forum.unity.com/threads/ani...in-build-loaded-by-addressable-system.808974/

Edit: This is really strange because I now find that it is because the binding to animator is lost when I play the playable. This only happens in "Use Existing Build" in Addressable settings or actual build. Also when I manually set the binding back and play the same playable, the animation plays as normal.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  6. wechat_os_Qy06fvcm1PmXkJd4807uh-IWA

wechat_os_Qy06fvcm1PmXkJd4807uh-IWA

7. pointcache

pointcache

2020.3.48f , still broken