Search Unity

Animation - How come I can't just click on keyframes and change their values in the inspector?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Hi_ImTemmy, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Hi_ImTemmy

Hi_ImTemmy

Hey folks,

This had me pulling my hair out for 20 or so minutes (and I haven't got much left to begin with). When creating clips and adjusting values in the animation tool why can't I just click on a keyframe to jump to that point in the timeline, and then adjust it's values via the inspector?

It only seems to register value changes and inspection if you drag the line.

This seems to be something of a huge usability oversight. Is there a reason behind this or am I using the key frames incorrectly?

Thanks!

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

The line is the current time/frame indicator. In all software packages the frame the line is on is the frame that will be changed if values are edited. I agree - a double click or alt click would be nice to say "time indicator - jump to where I double clicked" if that functionality does not already exist.
    It may in fact exist, I havent watched the 'new' animation tools video since it first came out. Might consider watching it to see if they show a process for that requested functionality.

3. Hi_ImTemmy

Hi_ImTemmy

Thanks for the reply!

If you double click at a key frame Unity simply inserts new frames at pretty much the same position (at least that's what its doing for me in 2017.3.0).

This just seems like a poor piece of usability, or at least, it could be vastly improved. This scuppered a few people on a course I'm going through who intuitively assumed selecting a keyframe should have been enough to make it clear that's what they wanted to edit.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

What happens if you left click in the highlighted area, or double click, alt click, shift click, or ctrl click in the yellow highlighted area instead of on a key? It should jump to that location in the timeline and then a animated adjustment can be made - which creates a keyframe. If a keyframe already exists on that frame it will edit that keyframe with the new animated edit. Sorry I don't have Unity in front of me at the moment to test.

upload_2018-2-13_10-54-13.png

5. unity_97morningstar

unity_97morningstar

Hi, my problem here is that I cannot see the little icon diamonds or indicators of where is the animation. Any ideas of why is this happening?

6. gambitslacklines

gambitslacklines

change to curve view and right-click the keyframe, then you can just set its value.

The Inspector shows you the keyframe value, but it is not there to "edit" it as far i know.

BootySmashDeluxe likes this.
  7. junlee321

junlee321

animater.PNG

8. msp_

msp_

9. retraffic

retraffic

how is this still not a thing?

10. inventordanzen

inventordanzen

And looking for an answer still... unless there is a way to snap the playhead to the time the keyframe is at, this is just ridiculous. Someone at Unity should be fired.

11. inventordanzen

inventordanzen

found it... I guess they can keep their job.
    • Press Comma (,) to go to the previous frame.
    • Press Period (.) to go to the next frame.
    • Hold Alt and press Comma (,) to go to the previous keyframe .
    • Hold Alt and press Period (.) to go to the next keyframe.

unityunity