Search Unity

Animation Fingers Off/Mismatch/Distorted when set to Humanoid Rig

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Beardielover, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Beardielover

Beardielover

Hi there,

I'm having an issue with an animations for fingers on a humanoid rig. When I set it to Generic, it works fine.(But I need to use Humanoid)

Other limbs seem to work just fine, so I created a quick test animation that only rotates the fingers. Instead of using my own model for this test, I decided to import Ethan to Blender so that I can be sure it is probably not something I'm doing wrong.

On the left is with Generic(how it's supposed to look), on the right is with Humanoid:

It's an odd animation, but that's because it's just a test because sadly this issue is a major roadblock for me.

Something to note, I am re-exporting Ethan to fbx to use with the animation, because Blender's rig hierarchy is slightly different.

I decided to upload a copy of the blend file(including meta).

Have any of you experienced this before? Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Beardielover

Beardielover

Any ideas?

3. Beardielover

Beardielover

Found this:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...s-wrong-finger-pose-when-comparing-to-generic

I wish I could download their test files to see if it's the same sort of issue as mine, but it probably is.

Bummer that fingers aren't going to have the 3 degrees of freedom. So for third person animations, I guess I just have to deal with them being off, and use guesswork to get them close to how I want =(

---------

Next question - certain rotation directions don't work at all for finger joints. I understand this is intended(for realism I assume), but is there any way to make it so those directions don't work in blender? That way it'll be easier to make closer matching animations.

(Depending on the rotation of the hand it's not as simple as X Y Z)

4. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

So I just ran upon this meself:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/are-there-rigs-identical-to-the-mecanim-rig.1077038/

I figured it out. Basically the mecanim heuristics need to judge pinky from thumb. Apparently it is better if the bones are named index, ring, little, middle, if named with numbers, Mecanim guesses..... Sometimes it gets it wrong. I went in and manually assigned the correct finger bones (they were all sorts of scrambled) in rig configuration (from your original FBX file) and that did the trick.

Mecanim is nice enough to remember your finger naming scheme, once you assign them all correctly.

in blender, select entire fingers/bone chains, make sure you are in piovot from individual origins, and R, XX or R, ZZ to get local rotations, and a well made rig should open and close a hand along the x or z axies only along joints. Try it.

5. Beardielover

Beardielover

Thank you for your response!

My rigs fingers were correctly assigned, but anyways I found a "solution"

I got UMotion on the asset store, it's so much easier to use with Unity... because it's inside Unity haha.

So much easier to animate with in general for me too, interestingly. I'd say it's more "programmer-friendly".(I'm okay at animating but my main skill is programming, which I've been doing for 8 years)

6. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

I have UMotion too, but Ive never even downloaded it. When I am back to animating, I'll have to give ti a whirl.