Search Unity

Animation Editor Perf Issues++

Discussion in 'Animation' started by v2-Ton-Studios, Jun 29, 2015.

1. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

I upgraded to 5.1.1f1 and I'm finding the animator editor has regressed.

1, And most importantly, I'm finding the editor to be incredibly slow, almost unusable. Confusingly this is not always the case... at certain intervals the animator will simply start being very slow. If I do a restart of Unity it doesn't help. If I animate in an empty scene it doesn't help. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to it. For instance, rotating an element takes multiple seconds, with the element jerking from one rotation spot to the next :). The perf issue has been noticeable since moving to Unity 5. I know this has been flagged before, posts go back to 2012 on this, but I would be remiss if I didn't raise it again.

As reference, I'm running 5.1.1f1. My setup is a Mac Pro, extremely high end, so I can't imagine it would be a horse power issue. In addition to Unity, I am running Illustrator, Visual Studio, Chrome and Spotify.

I am animating entities with a fairly wide, but not terribly deep (at least I don't think so) hierarchy. Here are some numbers...

Raw Entity

Max Depth: 8
    Max Children any depth: 9
    Total entities: 105 (nearly 50 of these are hidden elements I use for skinng... since you guys don't have a legit skinning system ;P)

Animator Hierarchy
    Entities: 40
    Max Depth: 6 (I'm counting this as the "nesting levels" in the hierarchy view)​

2, The latest build seems to have broken animator live refresh for undo. If I undo an operation my animation is frozen in the previous pose. When I first experienced this I thot undo was broken.

3, Moving frames WITHIN an animation seems to also be broken. Given a complex animation, if I move a set of frames "forward" such that there all frames are say past 0:15, I cannot move the timeline back to 0. To work around this I have to move all the frames past the first frame forward, then copy the first frame to a forward position, then edit the first frame.

4, Deleting multiple frame sets e.g. 4 frame sets of keys, is incredibly slow, often taking in the order to 10-60 seconds.

Thanks in advance for any help.

mmilne likes this.
  2. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Friendly bump, anyone from Unity able to shed some light on this? Would it be better if I submitted a bug report? TIA!

3. Filip-Kraus

Filip-Kraus

We've upgraded to 5.1.1f this week and iur animator is also reporting significant performance issues and bugs in the animation window, same as above.

4. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Unity just pinged me back saying this is a known issue. Full stop. What is the best way to push this issue? Are there other follow-up mechanics I can leverage?

5. MasterKelli

MasterKelli

Having the same problem. It seems that the more keyframes you have in your animation the slower the animation windows gets. Tried it with empty scene and Unity sprites, 1 root object + 10 child sprites. Becomes unusable after >100 keyframes

Just tested with latest Unity 5.1.2 and the problem still exists.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    v2-Ton-Studios likes this.
  6. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

If you can please log a bug with your project showing this issue. It the best way to get a follow up.

7. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Bug has been logged, I had a bit of back and forth with the tester, very nice person -- despite my obvious frustration :).

The word is this is a known issue that is being worked -- no ETA was provided.

@Mecanim.Dev FWIW, this is truly a pain in the ass to deal with :|. I'm making a rather large animation heavy title for Xbox via their ID program and the perf issues I'm running into are seriously making me regret using Unity. I very much hope this gets resolved within the next few months. If I can be of any help at all e.g. testing beta drops, giving feedback, trying alternative workflows, please don't hesitate to ping me.

Worth noting that this is not just a 5.1+ issue, I've rolled back to 5.0.3 and although the animation editor is usable, it is still very very slow for my scenarios. I know this is a tough problem to crack, performance always is (especially in a managed runtime with mecanim being an "add on" of sorts to Unity), but perf is also what makes an experience feel great. So please don't kick this down the field if at all possible. TIA!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  8. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

No bug are kicked down the field, we did work really hard the last few month to solve as many bug as we can. This is our top priority since 5.0.

9. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

That's great to hear! Was this one of the bugs?

10. Steve-Macintyre

Steve-Macintyre

Hi there! Just wanted to chime in and say I'm encountering this issue as well. If it's any help, I tried several things, narrowing the cameras clipping plane to double digits, forcing openGL, and finally using proxy sprites that use a mere fraction of graphics space that my original graphics had. (I am currently attempting to animate a ten limbed bear, originally all pieces were around 4 megs, i resized and resampled the sprites down to 8bit 2-8 color pngs so the entire creature only uses around 40k and I'm still encountering the lagging after setting a few keyframes, so it's not an issue with graphics, it has to do with how many elements are on the screen and being keyframed.

I hope this issue gets priority, I'm currently using mecanim to animate sprites for our game which relies on individual body parts to be manipulated, so creating sprite-sheets is out of the question unfortunately.

11. KeiTagura

KeiTagura

Hello currently in Unity 5.1.0f3 / Windows 8,

Ok wanted to echo this problem as well, I'm currently using Unity 5.1.0f3 and would like to confirm this problem with the HUGE drop in performance when you have a large number of objects in the Animation window.

At first I thought is was my code so I spent some time optimizing them the best I could but noticed quite quickly that everything ran extremely well until I started to animate the gameObjects with Unity's animation system.

To Isolate the problem I removed my scripts and components but the problem remained, Finally I just created an empty scene then created an empty gameObject with a child of 120 cubes then added and an Animator component to the parent empty and attempted to animate the child cubes positions.

The problem starts cropping up when you have added around 30 components to the Animator window and once there are around 50 in the Animator window's list thing basically become unusable within the editor, as input/control delay becomes around 5-15 sec long and becomes completely unresponsive as more is added.
    (Which makes no senses as Mecanim and mocap animation can have hundreds if not thousands of components in the Animator window at a time).

I don't normally post complaints about bugs in Unity and usually just wait it out as I know you all are doing what you can, but this time around I'm trying to convince my company to use Unity for our upcoming projects, so if possible can I get the status on this issue because as the OP stated this issue goes back all the way to 2012 pre-Unity 3.5 it seems. I will be forced to use something other than Unity (and I don't wish to) to complete said projects if I somehow must wait until Unity 6.5 or something to have the animator become usable.

Thank You