Search Unity

Animation clips on object, but Clip Count is 0?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by BrainAndBrain, Mar 7, 2018.

1. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

Weird question, but: is there a way to view animations on an object when using a Runtime Animator Controller?

I have an animation on an object with an Animator component and no Controller. I can play it back just fine at runtime (using Playables), but the Animation window in the Editor shows no clips. So once I’ve made the clip, I can’t see what I’m doing if I want to tweak it.

Also, Unity insists on creating an Animator Controller asset every time I create a new Animation clip on the object. So I guess I can’t get around having an Animator Controller, even though its not required for playback at runtime?

Interestingly, this Unity blog post shows a Runtime Animator Controller being used with Playables, and the Clip Count on the Animator component is greater than 0.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

Bumping this, as I still have no solution for it.

3. rozatlab

rozatlab

@BrainAndBrain did you ever find a solution for this? I'm having the same issue. I show several clips when I open the controller, but the component on my GameObject says "Clip Count: 0"

4. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

You can create Animation Clips without it making an Animator Controller by Right Clicking in the Project window and using Create -> Animation.

And you can have the Animation window pick up the clips you are using in Playables by implementing the IAnimationClipSource interface in your script.

But I haven't had any issues with the Clip Count not showing the correct value when using Playables.

GEvans13 likes this.
  5. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

@rozatlab Unfortunately no, I didn't find a solution. I ended up just switching to full mecanim, giving each character an Animator Controller of its own, and not using Playables for animation at all. Sorry!

6. dvelasco

dvelasco

I just ran across this, and my tip is this: is your animator attached to the root object in the animation hierarchy for those animations?

I observed that animators could be attached to the objects under the root without a problem, but they returned a "clip count 0" in the feedback section of the animator inspector. They don´t return an error, but I suspect that they do nothing for you, either.

Cheers!

cosmicplay likes this.
  7. cosmicplay

cosmicplay

In the controller, the actual animation clip must be attached to the Motion option in the Inspector. Screenshot_39.png