Search Unity

Animation clip claims blend shapes to missing although they exist

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Arnai, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Arnai

Arnai

Hey Community,

I've encountered a weird problem when trying to export animation clips from AutoDesk MotionBuilder 2018 to Unity (2018.2.7f1 Personal). I have created a blend shape based facial animation in MotionBuilder using Faceware Techs performance capture and exported it together with the model to an .fbx file. The .fbx imports fine in Unity, but the when previewing the clip I found that the animation was not playing. When hooking up the animation controller and looking at the animation in detail, Unity told me that the blend shapes are "(Missing!)". But they are not missing at all, all the blend shapes are fully functional and in the exact place in the hierarchy Unity tells me they should be.

Here's how it looks.

I'm quite stumped, honestly. Exporting and importing in MotionBuilder works without problems. Any ideas how to import purely blend shape based animation into Unity?

Thanks for your time,
    Arnai

(The fbx file in question: https://www.file-upload.net/download-13360106/VictorMotionBuilderFBX_PostPlot.fbx.html)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  2. Arnai

Arnai

I found a solution. Apparently Unity can't deal with newer FBX Versions, so I had to dial it all the way back to FBX 2011. My version of MotionBuilder does not support FBX 2011, so I had to take a detour over Maya, but then the blendshapes were found by Unity and the animation worked.

Sl3dge and Saicopate like this.