Search Unity

1. Full schedule for #UniteBerlin is now available! Featuring talks on our roadmap, hands-on labs and much more! Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.1 has arrived! Read about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Scriptable Render Pipeline improvements, Texture Mipmap Streaming, and more! Check out what we have in store for you in the 2018.2 Beta.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Animation C# jobs in 2018.2a5

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Mecanim-Dev, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

Unity Technologies

Hi guys,

the animation team has been busy in the last fews month to implement the new animation c# jobs.
    We think it a great addition has it give you complete access to the internal data at any point in the animation graph.
    It already available in 2018.2a5 under UnityEngine.Experimental.Animations namespace.

Since this new tech is build on top of the jobs system it does also have all the same constraint.

I know that most of you don't have access to alpha or beta but still I think you should be aware of what is coming
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/12ljfvi8knahdElbRuIRijsx0U1T4CyXRQMdOcq6lXRA/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  2. optimise

optimise

@Mecanim-Dev, awesome. Btw does any performance improvement for Animator?

3. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

Unity Technologies

@optimise we are currently looking at different solution to improve performance, but nothing as landed yet.

optimise likes this.
  4. BankrollStudios

BankrollStudios

Awesome, been waiting for this since I first heard about playables! This kind of implementation is exactly what I was hoping for.

I'm curious what the restrictions on BindSceneProperty there are? Would there be ways to feed non AnimationClip animation data into the job? Like an array of Matrices or something to use as a custom animation source?

5. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

Unity Technologies

you can read/write any supported intrisics type from the animation system: float, int, bool.
    right now all properties on all component are supported except for array type like :
    m_Materials.Array.data[0].

sure, you have access to all the data flowing throught the graph so any jobs can inject new values or blend values in you're own fancy ways.

The animation system know how to blend position, rotation(euler, and quaternion), scale, float, int, and bool. It doesn't knows how to deal with matrix directly because a matrix could have different semantic depending on what you store into it, 3x3 rotation, 3x3 rotation+scale, 3x3 scale, 4x4 affine

6. Baste

Baste

Looks good so far!

I'd love to see some full-scale examples of integration with Jobs/ECS. A good case would be something like handling foot IK for a large amount of agents at the same time.