Search Unity

Animation broken when running on Android

Discussion in 'Animation' started by jbjbjbborisb, Dec 16, 2015.

1. jbjbjbborisb

jbjbjbborisb

Hi there,
    I have a character model in FBX format. In Unity I have added an animation to the model.
    When I press play, the animations play just fine (in the Unity editor).

But when I build & run the game on my Android phone, the animated parts of the character disappear, while the animation is running. Before and afterwards, the parts are visible.

What is wrong here?
    Do I have to make a special setting to get the animations to run on the phone?
    Thanks!

2. ramioooz

ramioooz

Man I have the same problem.
    I am using latest version 5.3.

The problem is on Android builds.
    rotating objects using C# works fine.
    but I want to use "Animator".

Wishing for a solution.
    have a nice new year ;)

3. jbjbjbborisb

jbjbjbborisb

Hey,
    good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem.
    So far I have not been able to solve it, though :-(

Can anyone help?

4. raxashafique

raxashafique

Exact same problem :/ and em close to my deadline for finishing the project :/ upgrading to unity 5.3 was a mistake. going back to 5.2 as soon as em done with this.

5. jbjbjbborisb

jbjbjbborisb

With Unity 5.2 the problem did not exist?
    If so, I would try to downgrade my Unity installation in order to get my project finished.

Can anyone confirm this?

6. raxashafique

raxashafique

The problem doesn't exist on Unity 5.2.x , confirmed and tested.

rahulk1991 and TheGameLearner like this.
  7. jbjbjbborisb

jbjbjbborisb

OK, I just downgraded to 5.2. And I too can confirm, that animations are working fine there.
    Any official word on this?

8. jamius19

jamius19

still nothing!
    going back to Unity 5.2.3f1
    thanks Unity for breaking down my game

rahulk1991 likes this.
  9. xgiovio

xgiovio

same here. on iOS. Animated parts disappear using unity 5.3

10. jamius19

jamius19

Use unity 5.2.x
    works perfectly!

11. Dantus

Dantus

Did anyone submit a bug report?

12. manthoR

manthoR

@Dantus : Same problem here.
    It's easily reproductible (create an animatorcontroller, add it to a camera with a rotation of the cam as default anim ; build for android > screen all black), but I will try to submit a bugreport tonight.

Every time I try to go to 5.3 (for multiscene and IAP workflow) I encounter a blocking problem :'(.
    First was perfs issues (corrected in 5.3.1 for me), now this.
    I can make all my anims using tweenings, but Animator Controllers are parts of Unity !

13. Dantus

Dantus

If it is so easy to reproduce, it is very easy to submit a bug report too, such that they have it in their database and will have a look at it. If someone does that and ticks the "public" box, we are going to be able to vote for the bug in the issuetracker to increase the priority for Unity.

TheGameLearner likes this.
  14. manthoR

manthoR

As I said, I will check issue tracker (perhaps allready known) and If not exist, I will submit a bug report tonight.
    I'm actually on my "salary work" that is not linked to unity at all ;)

The fact is that there are a lot of strange regressions in 5.3x and submitting bug reports is not a full time job for me ;)
    (And I don't even speak about the lot of time spent to understand why this F***ing simple scene stops to works !)
    PS : And yes, I'm in love with this engine and its community, just sad to have things broken by someone else than myself :D

TheGameLearner likes this.
  15. Dantus

Dantus

Yes, of course there were strange regressions. And I agree that Unity needs to make a better job regarding that. It seems that the test coverage is by far not good enough at the moment for several areas.
    What I don't understand is that many in this forum just agree on certain issues even if no one has submitted a bug report for it. When issues occur on mobile phones, there are tons of things that can go wrong. It can be toggle that can make the difference. It can be one OS version, it can be a certain NDK version. It can be an update in Unity that doesn't work well just for some of those.
    Even if people write that it is really easy to reproduce, it is not always the case, because small things in the settings can make a huge difference. And it is important for Unity to have all that information in order to reproduce the bug and maybe add an automatic test based on it, such that this kind of regression can't happen anymore.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  16. manthoR

manthoR

Before sending a bug report, we need to check if it's a unity concern or our own fail. So we search on issuetracker, on forums, questions ... If some posts are near our problem, we push a reply to show previous users (and the next ones) that they are not alone, so it's perhaps a real bug !
    after some hour of tests or trying some workaround (even for older versions... sic) we finally think : ok, it's a bug. Then, we search more precisely if an issue exist on this bug to upvote (and, please note that issues are visible only when tested and approved by Unity).

We are not omniscients and I think that sending a bug report for every problems we have BEFORE taking time of dig is a real time killer for Unity devs. And as you said, with mobile development, issues can be linked to tons of things, so digging is really hard for simple users too... ;)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  17. Dantus

Dantus

In this particular case, it works properly in the editor and not in the actual build and it also works in previous versions. As such it is pretty certain that it is an actual bug.
    I am not saying that this kind of thread is not useful! But if no one reports the issue, chances are high that Unity is not aware of the bug.

18. manthoR

manthoR

jamius19 and Dantus like this.
  19. imhaT

imhaT

When using Animation i get a blue screen on android, works fine on winodws builds and the editor, but moving the camera on android results in a blue screen, i'm using the latest version.

20. manthoR

manthoR

Guys !
    Thanks to this bug report (and unity feedbacks) I test the workaround and it works for me :
    Just right click on every rotation entries on your animations to change the interpolation mode to "Quaternion" or "Euler angles (Quaternion approximations)"

TheGameLearner and ZheleznovAG like this.
  21. Ace7777

Ace7777

F*** this bug.