Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Animating with multiple skinned meshes

Discussion in 'Animation' started by KliveOne, Jan 29, 2020.

1. KliveOne

KliveOne

Hello, I cannot seem to find any updated guide or any real reference to understanding how to upload meshes separate from main rigs that use the same bone structure.

What I am trying to accomplish is the basic understanding of how to export a mesh with a rig from Blender and import into unity. Im wanting to use the same overall rig with multiple meshes.

I have a main body and attachments like clothing and hairs etc.

What seems to be happening when I 'try' to do this, is meshes vanish or end up extremly huge (even though export settings are the same)

The rig in using is a Manuel Bastioni rig (for now, I plan on using Daz later down the line once things are more finalized)

What is the best approach on doing this in unity?

EDIT: Im using an character controller and C# for handling animations, but am open to other approaches that involve C#

2. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Have a look at SKINN:VM in asset store.
    Free version can add your clothes to your rigged figure in Unity (at runtime or in editor)

Paid version has many other useful tools to combine and separate sub meshes, add blend shapes, etc.

3. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

For controlling animations with scripts, you might be interested in Animancer (link in my signature) which I just updated to v4.0 today (check out the Reddit Thread for a chance to win a free voucher).

But it sounds like your actual problem will primarily relate to the settings you use in the Rig tab of the model import settings in Unity (and obviously your Blender export settings, but I don't know much about the Blender side). The Animancer documentation has a page about Importing animations which might help you (it's equally relevant with or without Animancer). I only wrote that page a couple of days ago so let me know if you find it useful.

4. KliveOne

KliveOne

Hi guys , sorry but i dont need an asset that does this for me, I would rather learn the process involved on how to do this without something doing it for me. Cant learn if everyone does it for you :)

If anyone knows of a guide that can do what i mentioned in the first post please let me know thank you.

5. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

6. KliveOne

KliveOne

A guide please would be mega useful. That page which ive seen before isnt a guide, let alone document on HOW to do what I am requesting.