Search Unity

Animating two characters at once

Discussion in '2D' started by JHHemphill, Nov 18, 2013.

1. JHHemphill

JHHemphill

Not sure if this is an animation or 2D question, but it does deal directly with the new 2D sprite support and dope sheet editor.

Does anyone know of a way to animate two different character groups at the same time using the dope sheet in Unity 4.3?

For example, I am animating my hero character (made up of multiple objects, like the Beanman example) any my enemy character individually to save out the animations. That part is going fine. I'm at a point where I want to animate an interaction that requires the two to sync up during an attack. Is there a simple way of accomplishing this? My current solution is to add all of the enemy sprites into the hero's group and hiding the enemy during the interaction, but that seems very inefficient and messy. Ideally, I want to animate both characters's dope sheets separately and scrub/play them simultaneously, but keep the clips seperated.

2. JHHemphill

JHHemphill

Figured out a sort of hacky solution for this. I just dumped the prefab for the second character into the first (minus the GameObject group), and animated them together. When I was done, I copied out the animation and pasted it into the second character's prefab, then deleted the objects and animation keys that I didn't need. It is a little wonky and hard to edit afterwards (as to not push them out of sync), but it did end up letting me animate them together.