Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Animating sub-object vertices on an .fbx model

Discussion in 'Animation' started by hogarthd, Oct 25, 2013.

1. hogarthd

hogarthd

Hey all -

I just created a relatively simple vertex animation in 3DS Max of a deforming 16x16 plane. I can play the anim in 3DS Max, and I export it from Max with "animation" and "bake animation" flagged. I can import it into Unity, but I have no idea how to actually trigger/view/animate the mesh within Unity. Any ideas?

thanks!

2. halley

halley

I don't think that works; someone may correct me. So far, Unity does not support shape keys, so I would expect it does not handle other per-vertex animation. The only animation that deforms a mesh that Unity supports (e.g., through FBX import) is bone deformation. Anything else is just per-vertex manipulation in the Unity scripting (JS-like, C#, Boo).

3. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

You will need a point cache system for Unity, Google Unity Point Cache and you will find some solutions the best one I have come across and the one I use is MegaFiers, video below.