Search Unity

Animating Quadcopter

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Jofnir_IceSesh, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Jofnir_IceSesh

Jofnir_IceSesh

Whatsup guys. So I thought of a little fun project. I am making a quadcopter. I already have it made in blender, but I'm having a tremendous amount of issues with something that shouldnt be this hard..

In blender, I animated the blades rotating.

Here is a picture of what I've made so far.

I have the blades parented (Keep transform) to the main body, and I have them all spinning as they should with an F-Curve cycle modifier. But when importing to Unity, I'm running into some major issues.

Here is my animation. Its simply 3 rotations (90deg each) to simulate the blades rotation.

This works fine in blender. Now, lets move on to unity..

Ill export this setup into unity,

Here is the import settings. Also, it is changed to Legacy under Animation Type in the Rig tab.
    which also results in this error:

This is what is then created on the imported model

So one of the blades actually work when I have the entire object selected and scroll through the animation tab. But, just one? And it doesnt play on start? Im so confused

this isnt doing anything and I am really stumped. Im a programmer trynna learn all this modeling and animation stuff so bare with me, ive made it this far lol.

Can I get some help, community? I hope I did a decent job at explaining, this is all kinda new.

2. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

Why don't you just rotate them using code?

3. Jofnir_IceSesh

Jofnir_IceSesh

This is mainly for practicing with animations. Theres going to be plenty with the quadcopter, gotta know how to do it right now rather than later. Mainly for multiple anims on a single blend file.

However, I will take it into consideration if things continue to over complicate themselves. Do you suggest all the parts I animate in unity to be separate meshes from the model? Or is it good how I have it now, parented while keeping transform data.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  4. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

Well, (if you insist) you can rotate them by animation, but for rotating(animating)all propellers at once, you can do it in two ways(at least from what I know)
    1. The simplest way is of course rotating all the propeller in one animation, but you only can have them rotating in one same speed.
    2. A little complicated way is to blend all the four animation using and play all them all at once, of course, you need a little scripting to achieve this but it's not really complicated and you can play the propellers with different speed

If you care about keeping the draw batch count(like when you are making game for mobile) keeping all the parts in one object is a good practice, so yes, it is good how you have it now :)

5. Jofnir_IceSesh

Jofnir_IceSesh

Thanks! I ended up just coding the blades rotation in Unity instead. Works as intended :)