Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Animating models from sketchfab

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Johan_Liebert123, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Johan_Liebert123

Johan_Liebert123

Hello All, I've been working on an istrometic game like brawl stars, so far I've been able to get player moving, and aiming. Now it's time for attacking and I want to animate the model but the problem is that the model is fixed and I cant move anything. I've tried duplicating it and editing it but it still didn't work. Is it possible to be able to animate those models or not? Thanks !

2. Johan_Liebert123

Johan_Liebert123

I think I might've not explained it correctly, there's just a model which has a bat which is it's weapon, but i'm unable to move the bat as so therefore that will prevent me from creating an attack animation.

3. launzone

launzone

is the model a skinned mesh? is the bat a separate model/ object from the character?
    if not, you can't really animate the parts. you could only wiggle/ move the whole character around.
    if you want to create conventional character animations you need to rig them in a 3D software like blender. you should also be able to divide parts (like the bat) to a separate model in blender.

4. Johan_Liebert123

Johan_Liebert123

Thanks for your reply, yes it is a skinned mesh, but the part I don't understand is when I move it arm, the bat moves as well even though it's not a child of the arm?

5. launzone

launzone

maybe its just part of the same mesh?

6. Johan_Liebert123

Johan_Liebert123

Is it possible to separate the bat from the actual character or is it fixed? If yes, can it be done in unity?

7. launzone

launzone

if it is part of the same mesh, no you can't do that in unity. uou would have to go to a 3D software like blender.