Search Unity

Animating Collider Properties

Discussion in 'Animation' started by templewulf, Jan 3, 2019.

1. templewulf

templewulf

The documentation shows us that you can animate components on the object hierarchy attached to the Animator component's object. https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/animeditor-AnimatingAGameObject.html

Weirdly, it seems to stack all changes by type. I have multiple BoxCollider2D components to form a complex "hurtbox" shape common in fighting games. If I change all of them a little bit each frame, it just adds them together under the BoxCollider2D type, then applies them to only the first BoxCollider2D on the object.

I thought I'd outsmart the first-component-of-a-given-type restriction by using a PolygonCollider2D, but it doesn't even capture outline changes from that type!

• Is there a way to manipulate either multiple BoxCollider2D components?
    • Is there a way to manipulate the outline of a PolygonCollider2D component?
    • Is there a better way to animate multiple colliders through the Animation system?

2. templewulf

templewulf

I decided on an approach, even though it's not architecturally ideal.

It seems that the Animator system can't deal with collections, so that disqualifies both the list of points in a PolygonCollider2D as well as multiple BoxCollider2D components.

The animator can adjust child objects, so I added a bunch of children to my object with the sprite animator, and each one of them has a BoxCollider2D. I made a CollisionPublisher MonoBehaviour that I attached to each of those children with a box collider. It contains a reference to an ICollisionSubscriber (implemented by my character controller) as well as a ScriptableObject that designates the type of collider it is and what color it should render in the Gizmos.

It feels like a failure of data structure design to have a pile of objects named things like Hitbox7, but it's fairly extensible in practice.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Why not use a trivial component that adjusts all child components, and animate that instead?

4. templewulf

templewulf

I tried that approach as well (with a constellation of ColliderAnimator, ColliderAnimation, ColliderKeyframe, and so on), but it was more to coordinate than simply packing everything into an AnimationClip.

Over the weekend, I made a prefab of a single BoxCollider2D, a custom CollisionPublisher MonoBehaviour, and I have it send callback to the "managing" MonoBehaviour, which implements custom interface ICollisionSubscriber.

This way just came out a little cleaner, without having to keep ColliderAnimation and regular Animation in sync.