Search Unity

animated point caches, mesh instancing, oh my

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by crstnklv, Apr 22, 2020.

1. crstnklv

crstnklv

Hi,
    completely new to Unity VFX graph (or realtime engines in general) - but I am wondering how to replicate a very common vfx type workflow. Let's say we have a per frame pointcache with animated positions, orientations , colors, linear/angular velocities etc as well as references to static meshes that get instantiated on those points and transformed based on the respective attributes. The output could look like like this in Houdini:

Assuming I have baked out all the data, how do I do a simple playback of this this effect in Unity (either as a standalone effect or as a base for secondary type effects, or as a little motion vignette for spawned effects etc?)
    I exported a .pcache sequence using the provided vfx toolset hda from the github page, but am at a loss on how to set up the respective vfx graph? For starters it seems like the point cache node does not seem to have a time control - or maybe there is some filename convention that maps frames to time I am not aware of? Assuming potentially hundreds of different meshes to instantiate on my points, how can I generate a lookup table etc to refer to them via an id?
    Thanks for any pointers or tutorials that might shed some light!

Thanks again,
    crstn

florianhanke likes this.
  2. elephantcove

elephantcove

Wondering this as well. I would like to read in a series of point caches at some reasonable framerate. Thanks to anyone who can help...

3. elephantcove

elephantcove

This feature is critical... is this possible? if so would love to see how it is done... Does anyone know someone at Unity who can respond to this?