Search Unity

Question Animated object on timeline doesn't follow parent

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by ProfFailington, Nov 22, 2022.

1. ProfFailington

ProfFailington

I have an 2 objects on the timeline. One parented to another. I play an animation on both, but the child object doesn't follow the parent and just plays the animation in place.

Is there a way to make this work that doesn't involve making the child object's animation duplicate the movement of the parent?

Edit:
    After looking into it some more, the transform of the object doesn't update while it's animating. I guess this is why the children don't move with it. Is this intended behaviour?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    kana1939 likes this.
  2. akent99

akent99

I am not sure the exact problem, but if you have two animators trying to update the same object, one of them wins and the other loses. I never dug into it precisely, but I was wondering if the parent and child objects both had animator components. I have animated a parent container object and a child character object and it worked - but both had their own animator component. Just wondering if its something like that.

3. ProfFailington

ProfFailington

Thanks for the reply. They both have their own animator component, so it's not that.

I've noticed that even if i disable the animation on the child object, it still doesn't follow the parent when it animates. Still not sure what could be causing it. :/

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  4. ProfFailington

ProfFailington

Ok I figured it out. I'll leave this here in case anyone else comes across the same issue.
    The parent object had root motion, and the child object was a child under the parent object, but not under the parent object's root object. Once I moved it in there it works as expected.

You live and learn!