Search Unity

Animated Lighting on Characters

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by BlankMauser, Jan 31, 2015.

1. BlankMauser

BlankMauser

So if anyone has read up on the game Guilty Gear Xrd:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2099538&postcount=229

One of the interesting techniques they use is for the lighting. Custom shadowmaps are done on the characters to control the hue/values. Then lights are animated seperately on each character for each frame. I figure in Unity I could parent a character to a light, then animate the light locally. Would this be feasible to have it only affect that character?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  2. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

If I understood correctly, you want a light to only affect the character?
    If so, this can be achieved. You'll have to set your lights culling mask to ignore the layer your character is on. I'm not sure if there are ways to only light specific objects on a layer (other than making a layer for every character, and making the light only light that layer), but I think using the light's culling mask is the way to go. Also, animating the light is possible, altough you might want to go for a scripted approach, if you want the light to change it's hue randomly. Using an animation does work as well, but it's really down to personal preference. I personally would like something like this to be randomized, rather than a looping animation :)

theANMATOR2b and OllyNicholson like this.