Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Animated Custom Properties not working with FBX exported from Blender

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Spectrum73, Sep 30, 2023.

1. Spectrum73

Spectrum73

I have been attempting to get a Custom Property from Blender into Unity using "Animated Custom Properties" in the Animation tab of the FBX Importer, however have been vastly unsuccessful so far. I've attempted this on multiple bones, as well as on Objects and Actions, however none have imported into Unity's Animation window (I have also tried with both float and integer datatypes).

Due to a severe lack of documentation on it I've mostly been using a few forum posts as well as this tutorial on how to do it in Maya:
    https://www.techarthub.com/how-to-import-custom-properties-from-maya-into-unity/

Has anyone been successful in doing this with a Blender exported FBX? Also if anyone has a Maya or other 3D software exported FBX which does work with Animated Custom Properties would you mind sending it, as right now I haven't been able to get any properties to show in the Animation window.

(I have also tried shapekeys driven by custom properties, and the shapekeys work correctly, however the custom properties don't show in the inspector)

My reason for wanting custom properties is to have an integer (or float) to tell a weapon where on the character it needs to be (left hand, right hand, one of many holster positions) and I would like to avoid doing this in Unity's Animation window as it is slow and would prevent me from using read-only animation clips in some places. I have also been provided one way someone got it working on the blender discord through having a dedicated bone who's xyz position can be used to get the values i'd need via script, which would work, but ideally I would like to find out why Animated Custom Properties isn't working.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide on this!

FelipeCavaco likes this.