Search Unity

Animated backgrounds?

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by STT, Mar 20, 2010.

1. STT

STT

Before I ask anything, can you even skin a UnityGUI background?

Okay, real question, assuming answer to previous question was yes: Can you skin a background that's an animated image?

2. Quietus2

Quietus2

It depends on what you mean by 'background.' A full screen image or the background image for a particular control?

There is no Animated Gif support in Unity if that's what you are asking. You can roll your own bones with a texture sheet however, controlling it's progression with either a state machine or perhaps the new animation facilities in 2.6.

3. STT

STT

Like a full-screen background for an entire UnityGUI menu. It might be possible to do it with a movie texture... or are those pro-only?

4. andeeeee

andeeeee

You can add a background image using GUI.DrawTexture, but there is no GUISkin property to set this automatically.

5. Tigerson

Tigerson

Since most of the background images use a simple 2D image, if you created an 2d animation in a photo editing software such as photoshop, then you could save it as a .gif and import it, assuming that Unity supports the .gif file, which I'm not sure it does, but wouldn't see why it wouldn't. :eek:

Yea.... I submitted my reply, and then re-read it and noticed the last paragraph saying that Unity doesnt support an animated .gif so... yea... I basically have nothing else now...

6. kor

kor

Step 1 - Save your animation as a .mov
    Step 2 - Apply the .mov as a texture to a plane
    Step 3 - Point camera with said GUI at plane so that it takes up the whole screen (like a background)
    Step 4 - ???
    Step 5 - Profit

ErgarV likes this.
  7. Venryx

Venryx

8. match_mp4

match_mp4

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:D LMAO HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

9. lochietgardner

lochietgardner

Where do u find texture and plane