Search Unity

Animate two characters together in one interaction

Discussion in 'Animation' started by vidoxys, Dec 2, 2020.

1. vidoxys

vidoxys

Hello, I would like to know how to animate two characters to make interactions between them, for exemple :
    For a grab animation for a combat game (like in street fighter, or during the fatalitys in Mortal Kombat), a finisher move (like in Doom or Assassin's creed), etc...
    I've thought of multiple way of doing it, but I would like to know what is the normal workflow or just a time efficient workflow.

2. TimmyTheTerrible

TimmyTheTerrible

Since i'm a blender user i'll use blender as an example. I import both characters into a blender file, and begin animation. Usually, to simplify things, i have one character at the origin, and one where ever else its needed. I animate both the models in the same blender scene, and export them separately. For me, i usually reposition both models to the origin before exporting.

Now in unity, all i need to know is where in relation to the first animated character i need to be to start the animation link to the second character. If i animated it myself then i tend to know the offset already, but if i didn't or i'm just lazy then i'll use Timeline inside unity, using both actors and that will allow me to find the position offset i need to be at for the animation to play.

Now to be honest i don't know if thats the 'normal' way to do it or not, its just what i do... And if anyone has a better method, i'd love to hear it!

vidoxys likes this.
  3. vidoxys

vidoxys

I use blender too, and it seems to be a way better way to do it than the ones I've tried. I'll give it a go soon. Thank you !