Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Animals Full Pack By PROTOFACTOR, Inc // Updates are coming!!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by PROTOFACTOR_Inc, Jul 25, 2017.

1. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Pretty sure you never were the only one!! :)

2. hopeful

hopeful

Ant-Man! ;)

PROTOFACTOR_Inc likes this.
  3. Teila

Teila

I clearly remember you telling me that not enough people wanted that...way back when the animal pack was new. :) So glad you changed your mind.

4. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Hey there! Finally, it's almost there! Golden Eagle v2.0, final upgrade of our library, will be available very soon! Next week will see some brand new designs!!!
    Here is the viewer for the Golden Eagle:

Worst case scenario the model would be available Monday afternoon (PDT)
    Enjoy your week end!! :).

5. Teila

Teila

Wow! Looks just like the golden eagle that landed on the hood of the rental truck on a mountain in Utah while I was doing field work! Great memory. :) Thanks for the update.

PROTOFACTOR_Inc and Jaimi like this.
  6. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

And here it is! Upgrade process is now complete. All 24 included animals have been upgraded.
    Golden eagle v2.0 is live on the asset store.
    Birds pack v2.07 with upgraded golden eagle is live on the asset store.
    Animals Full Pack v2.24 with upgraded golden eagle is live on the asset store.
    Enjoy!
    Down the road this year, we'll be adding some extra features.
    Cheers!!! :)

7. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Very nice update, thanks!
    I will update the birds in my game soon, I already updated all others before without any problems.

Sleeping anims and an additional childs pack would be great :)

Have a nice weekend!

8. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Animals Full Pack's price has been lowered to $119.99 to reflect the price that it'll be listed at on the Unreal Marketplace.

9. Enoch

Enoch

This might not be fully relevant here but I just saw your roadmap (https://protofactor.biz/road-map-2018/) and while this is hugely exciting. I noticed that most of you stuff is now only going to be available from your website.

Is this what you are doing going forward? Is there a reason why you choose this route? The convenience of getting an update right out of unity is a big deal, plus the licensing protection we are guaranteed from unity and the protection from your site dropping off the face of planet (we still have access to unity items years after the author quite updating).

10. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

You didn't understand correctly, maybe you got misled somehow. Our newest creations will be available on our website first with a short period of exclusivity (1 month). The early birds pack (pre order a not complete pack at a lower price) will only be available on our website. However once complete they'll be released on all the other marketplaces.
    Not sure if you have an account on our brand new website. But now it's pretty convenient. You'll receive email notification when one of the product you own is updated or if a new Add-On is available to download. If you subscribe to our newsletter you'll also be notified once a new product is released or if an early bird pack is available.
    Ddin't quite understand the part :" the protection from your site dropping off the face of planet", What do you mean by that?
    Our oldest customers still have access to content that has not been updated for years... They now have their own download area and have access to all the content they own.
    Since 2012 our content is available on our website to all our customers, we're not planning on dropping off the support.
    PS: Don't hesitate to voice you opinion on the road map survey

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Enoch likes this.
  11. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

I can totally relate to what Enoch is saying. Basically as indies... it's a risky business and we might not even be around tomorrow. So that translates to the insecurity that you also *might* not be around tomorrow.

Also we can look at the example of Morph3D and how they magically changed their EULA on their website and screwed over all their customers, it conflicted with UAS policies and UAS policies won out but those who bought content from M3D stores were forced to agree to a different EULA that basically screws them over.

Now I'm not insinuating that you might do such a thing but this is why the UAS protects indies because what you sell on it comes under an easy to understand EULA that protects us when we make products using those assets.

With that said, now my own 2 cents... I've been buying content from all over... some from the UAS and some outside... and I'm started to get issues with consolidating my content.... some content providers don't update their content regularly or simply don't inform customers when there's a update available. And now that I have more and more content outside of the UAS... now I am burdened by having to hunt down each and every provider and make sure I have the latest content from them, it is tedious and tiresome. It's not something I enjoy doing. As a content provider, you don't see such problems... if you make an update, you pass the responsibilty to the customers to get those updates. But for us customers... if we have to update content from 5? or 10? or 20? different stores... it gets completely out of hand.

Now if I only bought from the UAS... I'd just need to check there for updates and it's integrated into my unity client. So there are tremendous benefits to that. Hope you can see the benefits from the customer point of view.

Now I also understand that the UAS takes a reasonably large cut from your sales and I notice a lot of content providers setting up their own stores to make more money. And I can understand the reasons for wanting to do that.

I am considering buying your ultimate pack https://protofactor.biz/product/heroic-fantasy-creatures-ultimate-collection/
    but because it is not on the asset store, I'm not ready to rush into it. If you made an even bigger pack with everything you have on it, I'd consider getting that too. But I'd prefer to get my content integrated into my workflow and simplify updates.

Maybe a new policy of issuing asset store keys so we can update that way if we prefer? Just something for you to think about. All the best with the new store!

12. Teila

Teila

Hey, even when Protofactor did not have his store open, he still responded to me via email and sent me what I needed. I doubt he will disappear. To be safe, download your purchases an put them somewhere safe.

13. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Hey there! Thanks for considering purchasing content from us! :)

We're not Morph3D, we've been around before and will certainly be after. We've been taking care of our online store since 2012 (and on the Asset Store since Early 2011, almost right after the store opened). Back then it was a really lame html page to help publishers who wanted to pay a little less and we were able to run some promotions.... We stop having our store during a year (2016-2017), but we were still here helping our existing customers base and delivering them updates and Add-Ons.

The good thing with us is that you receive an actual email from us to let you know that you can have access to some new content or that a pack has been updated, or received a new Add-On.. It's not a little note withing the asset store window (that you need to have opened with a huge tiny list of content that has been updated....

Regarding the EULA, unity's changes as well over time... Not so long ago they introduced a requirement that customer who were adding modifications to the assets were to give them to the publisher... If I'm correct. Which I think is crazy. Our EULA is really simple and is just common sense, don't redistribute any part of the models itself. Everything has to be embed in a finish product. It's been like that since forever....

We can't deliver asset Store keys for purchases made outside of the Asset Store... This is not accepted by Unity. Why would they give you access to their store when you didn't even give them one cent?
    And reciprocally, we won't give you access to the content on our store if you gave the money to unity.(especially with the cut they take)

Just Like @Teila said, you need to back up your content. Who knows if unity will be around for long either. Mixamo has been bought by Adobe... some of their paid content becoming free etc... EULA changes...Some other content from fellow publisherss bought by unity and "embed" in the software and becoming free when a lot paid for the plugin etc... the list goes on....

At he end of the day this is your decision, and it's true that unity is trying to make it easy on the customer by being a giant hub for all their purchases. We just provide more (UE4 Files, Raw FBX files) on our store. If you ever decide to go for UE4 in the future, you'll have to take care of the conversion yourself... With us you can create your own bundle and get a discount etc....

Anyways, your decision! :)

14. gecko

gecko

@rosor Hey, I just purchased your sparrow, which looks great in the preview video, but something is goofed up once importing it into Unity -- the wings fold badly in all the idle poses. Here's a comparison from store preview and what I see:

sparrow.jpg

I'm on 2018.2.6 on Mac High Sierra. Any way to fix this?

thanks
    Dave

15. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

This is weird... Are you using the prefabs? Otherwise in the hierarchy window select the model and expand, select the actual mesh and make sure that in the inspector the bones influence is set to 4 bones.
    Let me know if this helps.

16. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

By default the preview animation window just uses 2 bones influence

17. gecko

gecko

Thanks for the quick response. The quality settings are set to 4 bones, and the model in the scene is as well. (I didn't know that the preview window uses just 2 bones, that's good to know!). And the model in the scene at runtime looks the same as in the preview window (I did check that before posting here).

(I'm using the PBR prefab)

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 4.31.45 PM.png

18. gecko

gecko

I've set these to use Legacy animation format, if that matters.

19. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Thanks again for reporting this! it looks like the fbx file in the unity package was a 2 hours earlier version that the one that is in our own library. The weirdest thing with that is that nobody else besides you that ever reported this...
    We're going to re upload the whole pack in order to push the update!
    Please note this is pretty heavy (Gb wise) so be patient.
    Again, all apologies for that. The blame is on our end.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    BackwoodsGaming, hopeful and Teila like this.
  20. gecko

gecko

Fantastic, thanks! No problem to wait a few days for it to show up there.

(Dunno why nobody else reported it, but honestly a lot of birds in the Asset Store have crude folded-wing poses, so maybe they thought that's just how it looked.)

21. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

you won't have to wait more than a few hours, don't worry. I'll update that thread once it's live. The skinning on the wings is still pretty rough but we tried to chose the best balance between performance and look. Glad you chose our solution! :)

22. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

While I'm on this thread. You might know that we'll be working on updates to the Animals Full Pack. Right now we're finishing up with the Demons Pack Vol1. Once we'll be done with it we'll be able to move on to these updates! Hope you guys are excited! :)

BackwoodsGaming and hopeful like this.
  23. gecko

gecko

Yup, I understand about the balance between performance and look -- we thought it looked great in the preview on the asset store.

And what kinds of updates to the animals?

24. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Updates like additional animations for most of the mammals, bull add-on, rooster add-on, ram.
    also v2.241 is live with the fixed sparrow. Let me know if you encounter any other issue with the package.
    Best,

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  25. gecko

gecko

Great, I'll download it"

Did you see the PM I sent you?

26. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Animals Full Pack is on sale on the Unity Asset Store! 25 % Off till 09/11/2018
    Enjoy! :)

27. gecko

gecko

Went to get the updated sparrow...but sorry, I actually purchased only the sparrow, not the full pack. Could you update that item on the asset store too?

thanks
    Dave

28. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Sorry about that. Let us do that right away! Sorry for the inconvenience.

hopeful likes this.
  29. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

All Right @gecko updated version is now live. Thanks again for your patience! :)

30. gecko

gecko

Got it, looks good, thanks much!

31. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi @rosor , I've just got your animal pack and I am currently adding the african animals to my project. I have noticed there are no turn animations, is this something you are looking to address or is it not a feature you are not adding?

The animals look great but they lose a it of authenticity when the AI system turns the around with no animation.

32. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

There are indeed no turn animations. I would assume your AI system could use the walk animation for turning instead of none which would look far better. For now that's what I would recommend.
    However in the coming weeks we will be working on updates and upgrades to the Animals Full Pack. This mean you will end up having some turning animation (walkTurn L & R 45° most likely), eating animation on some of the predators, resting animation as well. and also some additional models (chick, bull, ram, rooster most likely)

hopeful and AndyNeoman like this.
  33. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Excellent, thanks for the response. That would be perfect but i will indeed add the walk animation for now. Thanks for the tip.

34. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Hey everyone!

This is now official! we have just started the update process for the Animals Full Pack.

To give you guys a heads up , we'll basically start by adding the new animations and rework some few other ones as well. We'll start with the Forest Animals Pack (we're on the bear right now), then The Farm Animals Pack and finally the African Animals Pack. Right now; we don't feel the urge to give additional animations to the birds.

Once the new animations will be done, we'll be able to move on to upgrading the pack with some brand new models:
    rooster, chick, ram, additional horns for the sheep, bull, horse (not sure yet).

35. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Sounds great, Thanks :) Still kittens / children would be nice...
    It would be great if they could use their parents textures (if possible) so the ram usage will not get too high.

36. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

Hello
    The animation not works with Animator Controller.

Also they are not inlcuded to use like they should.
    You not icluded them right :(
    Why not inlcuded Animation Controllers only at the Golden Eagle ?

And what AI Controller is the best for this animals ?

Regards

37. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

All animations are set up to use the mecanim generic rig set up. This means that they should work with any Animator Controller you'll set up. By default we didn't provide any controller since every developer will develop their own according to their specific needs and project requirements.
    We might be providing more than simplistic Animator Controller just to have that slot filled in the prefab, which won't be helpful to you most likely.
    I would recommend looking into the documentation regarding animated characters inside unity.
    Regarding what AI controller to use, I'm not in charge of your project... which means I don't know what are your requirements and specifics...
    I know that some users have been using Emerald AI and ICE with success... I guess there are plenty of other options out there as well.

38. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Not sure if we'll be able to do that regarding the textures... As for the kittens, quite some people have been asking about dogs and cats and also domestic animals in general (guinea pig, turtle, hamster, rat)... so we might do it (Please, don't quote me on that). But for the cat / dog it might be tricky since there are soooo many different races out there... It will be hard to satisfy everyone.

39. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

We updated the Bear! the new version is live. Forest Animals Pack and Animals Full Pack have been updated as well

40. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

Yes but a standard controller for all animals to test them etc would no bad idea :)

Also we want make animals to shoot at them etc in forest and so on so what ai be good you think ? and also can teh AI use the animation or need to make controller i mean the default unity animator work great like you have done at Golden Eagle but for all animals be great.

Also you make additional animals if we wrote you we found 2 or 3 you not have in . also i read you make cat and dog would be great .

And also sounds are missing :(

You know a good sound pack or you have for your animals ?

Regards

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  41. mons00n

mons00n

holy hell turn animations AND sleep animations?! This is more than fantastic thanks @rosor !!

42. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

you're welcome. We're currently exporting the new animations for the wolf. Should be live later today. (If all goes well)

43. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Updated wolf is now live on the asset store. Forest Animals Pack and Animals Full Pack updated as well.

mons00n likes this.
  44. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Updated boar is now live on the Asset Store. Animals Full Pack and Forest Animals Pack have also been updated.
    Cheers! :)

mons00n likes this.
  45. CreativeEnd

CreativeEnd

These updates are awesome. Any chance we could get a eating/grazing animation for the deer?

46. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

We're currently on the Fox. The new animations are in (see updated sketchfab viewer) The updated unity version should be live tomorrow.
    We'll be working on the deer (stag and doe) right after. I thought there were some grazing animation already... If they're not in we'll add them, sure.

Also,we opened the rabbit file and didn't feel it needed some turning animations, it's so small and somewhat fast...
    To @ll our customers, let me know if you think I'm right or not.

Thanks
    Cheers! :)

47. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

We have updated the Deer stag. Tomorrow we'll transfer its animation set to the deer doe.

Here is what the new animation set looks like:

48. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

49. CreativeEnd

CreativeEnd

Very nice. Can't wait to see those in my game.

50. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Glad you like the upcoming updates! :)

Deer Doe has been updated. We still need to update all the new files on our website and on the Asset Store.
    This update includes also some fixes in the doe skinning.

We'll be updating the sheep animation set next.

Cheers

BackwoodsGaming and mons00n like this.