Search Unity

Angle of HingeJoint with connected body

Discussion in 'Physics' started by silentslack, Nov 27, 2016.

1. silentslack

silentslack

Hi,

How can I get the relative angle a HingeJoint has rotated from its initial rotation if the joint has a connected body? If the joint stays shut but the connected body moves, HingeJoint.angle seems to change.

Thanks!

ifisch likes this.
  2. silentslack

silentslack

Still after this answer. How can I tell a door has shut for instance if the wall it's attached to (its connected body) moves? I assumed HingeJoint.angle would tell me this but it isn't relative to its own joint it seems.

ifisch likes this.
  3. silentslack

silentslack

I'm hoping a picture may help my cause! This is my box with a lid. It uses a hinge joint to open the lid.

How can I get the angle from initial (closed) if the box Rigidbody moves around? Should Hinge.Angle be the relative angle because that is not the case.

Thanks!

4. Fu11English

Fu11English

Why not just measure the angle between the two transforms (hingeTransform and wallTransform) using Vector3.Angle(). ?

5. silentslack

silentslack

Well they might not be pointing in the same direction at initial but I guess I could calculate the initial delta. Will give that a shot. But wondering if Hinge.Angle is broken?

ifisch likes this.
  6. ifisch

ifisch

I agree with you. This is still a problem 3 years later. Can someone from the Unity team please look into this?