Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Angle based culling (CullInstances API)

Discussion in 'HDRP Ray Tracing' started by m0nsky, Dec 10, 2023.

1. m0nsky

m0nsky

Hi,

I think angle based culling would be a great addition to the existing CullInstances API.

I coded this a long time ago (summer 2021 I think) in my burst + jobs version of the HDRaytracingManager, however, since I have switched to CullInstances, I would love to see the same functionality there.

Extra info : "It Just Works”: Ray-Traced Reflections in ’Battlefield V’ @ GDC 2019 (page 60)

2. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, thanks. It does make sense and it's something we already had in mind as well when adding this culling API.
    We never developped because of priorities and lack of resources.
    It's not out of the question one day but I don't see it in the near future.

Also, don't forget we do accept PR's in this public repo if you already coded it ;)

m0nsky likes this.
  3. m0nsky

m0nsky

My HDRaytracingManager was a complete replacement on the HDRP package side, while the new setup (CullInstances API) moved the RTAS management to the engine side which I can't access, it is no longer compatible.

chap-unity likes this.
  4. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

So I got confirmation it's still in a backlog somewhere.
    I know that doesn't help a lot given I can't give you anything besides the fact that it's still a good idea :).

m0nsky likes this.