Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Androids that work with Unity Android

Discussion in 'Android' started by Wozik, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Wozik

Wozik

Darknuke, Samsung Transform is supported, but it has the 2.1 OS customized by Samsung, that has a kernel bug. So the device is supported, the OS is not. Please update your software.

2. Darknuke

Darknuke

Ah, well it wasn't my phone so I didn't feel like messing with it too much.

To those of you using a Nook, is the performance really all that bad for games? I'm tempted to get one for testing purposes to replace the MyTouch I've been using (another friend's phone), but I don't want a phone, err, tablet that won't give me realistic results for Android.

3. diegorborges

diegorborges

Does anyone knows if the Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 is supported?

4. Wozik

Wozik

good question, as X8 seems to be based on Qualcomm MSM7227 (seems to lack VFP that we require for ARMv6 CPUs) but it has an Adreno GPU...

5. diegorborges

diegorborges

That's true... Its performance seem to be good on most Android games, that's why I wondered about it.

Btw, thanks for contributing on my quest.

6. GamerUnity

GamerUnity

Also tested on Samsung Galaxy 5

7. Wozik

Wozik

so what's your experience with this tiny device? any graphic bugs?

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

It would be convenient to also see a list of any devices known not to work with Unity Android (I'm trying to decide whether to take the plunge).

9. mmuller

mmuller

Not sure if you are aware but the Advent Vega (PC World UK) also runs Unity apps great. Its a Tegra2 based tablet and is very competitively priced

10. GamerUnity

GamerUnity

For Samsung Galaxy 5:Evreything works very well but Scenes containing some complicated models crash wheras these scene works very well with HTC-Desire

11. svenskefan

svenskefan

Hi!
    I have an Acer liquid e, with froyo on it, which should work according to the specs. It has a Qualcomm 8250 Snapdragon processor.
    However it really mashes up all audio, kind of hard to explain but all sounds are chopped up and high pitched.

Apart from that I do get crashes fairly frequently.

anyone else have any experience about the acer liquid e?

12. Wozik

Wozik

technicat, just follow the easy rule
    1) Android 2.0
    2) ARMv7/Cortex CPU

otherwise may not work with Unity

GamerUnity, good, we see something similar with Galaxy 580, but we don't think this is a top priority thing to workaround at the moment. We'd need to implement a special graphic path for this particular device =( it's so broken inside.

13. Wozik

Wozik

svenskefan, that's really weird. I did not have a chance to use this device. What Unity version are you using?

14. svenskefan

svenskefan

the latest 3.30f4 Pro, and Android Pro. The phone is on Android 2.2, and I am on a mac.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  15. Wozik

Wozik

We have a number of Qualcomm 8250 devices here (no Acer's though) and everything's awesome.
    Could you please try any Unity game from the Marketplace? Cordy or Crazy Snowboard are good and free.

16. giyomu

giyomu

hi all , just decided to start on android , and force my wife to change his phone for one droid hehe, I have just tested crazy snowboard with it and all seem working fine ( still need to go get android add on unity :D ..will do in a few minute XD )

so the model she bought is only available in japan for what i see ( for now...dunno in futur )

it is a "NEC MEDIAS N-04C" with android 2.2, cpu Qualcomm MSM7230 800MHz

here the spec page >>

http://www.n-keitai.com/n-04c/spec.html

just need to get up and running with it now ( hope i won't lost to much hair haha ^^ )

17. Wozik

Wozik

giyomu, this proc is old but pretty capable. You should be fine with it.

18. muhammadgyan

muhammadgyan

Did Samsung Galaxy Mini (GT-S5570) supported by Unity??

19. DrPygameNewb

DrPygameNewb

Have a hard time looking for unity3d games on the android store

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Wozik, thanks, I missed this reply so I just released some apps with Android 2.1 as the min API, since I didn't see 2.0 in the list. In any case, I think it's still useful to maintain a list of platforms known not to work, so we can list them in our app descriptions and avoid some unnecessary bad reviews or customers angry because they didn't make the 15-minute refund window. I do include the list of known-to-work devices but that leaves unclear whether anything not listed is just untested or known-not-to-work.

21. svenskefan

svenskefan

Correction. My Acer liquid E is working as expected, although skinned meshes in Unity Android are not...

I would not recommend the device as such. I managed to get a really good deal on it, but it is pretty big and clumsy and the performance is not that great. I upgraded to a motorola defy, and it is really a nice phone, supposedly scratch- and waterproof too.

22. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

These picture attached below is an awesome upcoming SHARP 3D android device (with stereo vision - no glasses, just like the Nintendo 3DS) with Mad O Ball 3D (done with Unity) running beautifully on this new touchscreen 3D toy!

I think the model is the SH8158U.

We wanted to port the game to stereo but this is possible only with their toolkit that needs NDK installed and access to the main engine rendering source code files ! So no chance :(

I think this is the right thread where to start the writing of the "perfect" android manifest file for unity, because actually with all the possible care in writing it, this sharp device and many other are filtered off by the Market with our current manifest, but the game is running great on it!

Can we please start editing or perhaps start a new sticky thread with the "perfect manifest" inside ? :)

I think it would be a great Idea for all Unity Android developers.

Cheers,

Attached Files:

23. trancerobot

trancerobot

I can verify, without a shadow of a doubt, that those cheap Chinese designed "e-pads" (aka wm8650) you can get off the internet for less than $100 aren't going to work with Unity. Not only that, but they aren't even officiated by Google, and can't use the official Android Market.

Don't buy these.

I bought it for my mother as a mother's day gift. She can't even play Angry Birds on it it's so slow, and I'm afraid to root it because there's a lot of very-similar-but-not-the-same models coming out of China resulting in a lot of bricked tablets.

That is cool. I hear the Evo3D is like that too. I wonder if there is any compatibility between them. Probably not, since you said it was proprietary.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  24. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

Please, I got 213 device filter as can download the game, but I'm sure that at least an hundred of them can't properly play it.
    Does exist a safe way to compile the Manifest (already using Accelerometer / Touchscreen and screen resolution filters) in a way that only GPU devices will be able to download ?

I read on this forum that compiling ARM7 already does this, but this is not the case because we are ALSO using the manifest file.

Any clue ?
    May we / Wozik start the magic thread: "The perfect Manifest for Unity Android" so that we can cooperate in updating it and maintain it ?

25. Wozik

Wozik

26. Argenex

Argenex

I think its important for Potential Developers to know that AT&T disables "Accept from Unknown Sources" and the only way to install a new apk is using the Android Sideload Wonder Machine. Currently AT&T Handsets only allow installs via the android market, they also have disabled the ability to install via Amazon App Store.

While you 'should' still be able to build to the phone while its plugged in, this is bad for people who are testing an app and do not have android sdk and simply want to test art gameplay whenever a new build is released.

Android Sideload Wonder Machine
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/and...-central-sideload-wonder-machine-v-1-2-a.html

Thanks.

27. DiegoC

DiegoC

Yes, But You need compiled in ARMv6

28. MIke ekim

MIke ekim

Can either of you confirm what ROM was used for the gTablet? Stock, or custom (CM, Vegan, etc)?

Thanks in advance, I'm researching the gTab and want to have my ducks in a row before I buy.

29. Fenyx4

Fenyx4

30. Dreamora

Dreamora

Galaxy S II (GT-I9100) on Android 2.3.3 works too.
    Extremely short loading times for games compared to my HTC Desire, no problems at runtime great performance.

Tested against Market Place Releases like Dogfight Lite, Topple Lite and other free Unity games

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  31. Wozik

Wozik

thanks.

also we're discussing the ARM6 path future support with Unity as it seams that the currently supported ARM6 devices are minority on the market and they mostly have broken graphic drivers =(

32. DanTreble

DanTreble

Woah, that's a big statement. Care to back it up with facts?

From memory of a friends live wallpaper stats. ARMv6 devices had at least 3 or 4 of the top 10 devices. There were several variations on the LG Optimus One and the Sony Xperia X10 mini.

AppBrain has some stats http://www.appbrain.com/stats/top-android-phones

33. Dreamora

Dreamora

Check out the metrics for US users where the top 82%+ or so are ARMV7 device users or the sales stats since 1.1.2010, where the top 10 were basically ARMV7 only devices.

your listing there proofs that very well, as far as I see there are only 3 ARMV6 devices in, the Huawai (they are a synonym for only the cheapest hardware) and the Optimus One and S, all others are ARMV7. And these 3 together make less than 5% and are losing fast and massively to the current top sellers which sell 2 magnitudes more devices in less time

Even without that there is the problem that the bad drivers and the very slow hardware (the iPhone2Gs GPU is faster than the gpu on any ARMV6 cpu used on Android!!) make it a mine field, against your own good actually as not limiting it to ARMV7 means that all ARMV6 users can get it but only on 5-10% of the ARMV6 devices it will run it will potentially run very badly. If you target for more than another solitair, hurts or very simple 2D game, you will hit its limits near right away.
    To give you an idea on the limits: the iphone2g / 3g 30 drawcalls, 7-10k poly limits are a dream you will never reach on Android ARMV6 devices, 10-15 drawcalls and 2-6k poly is what we talk about here, if at all.

Its a sad fact that only cheap and HW wise crap or netbook for browsing replacement or "nokia SMS-MMS-FB replacement" androids (like the X10 mini Pro, which I by the way loved for exactly this one usage :)) were ever using the ARMV6 and for none of them their manufacturer included plans to support its 3D hardware with drivers that do more than rendering the Android surface, thats also the reason why most of them never got Android 2.1 and 2.2 updates officially (and rooted device = unsupported device with buggy, broken, cracked, modified and often not working drivers)

Even the snapdragon 1s Adreno 205, which was much stronger than any ARMV6 based setup, is still very weak on the gpu end. Games like dogfight lite stutter around at 10-15FPS due to 800x480 resulution of my old HTC Desire (2nd most sold device in USA in 2010, after one of the 2 Galaxy S variants in the top sales in 2010) and alike and the Snapdragon 1 is an 1Ghz ARMV7 cpu with OpenGL ES 2.0 gpu, not 400-730mhz cpus with no gpu to OpenGL ES 1.1 sub iPhone2G gpu at max as in the ARMV6 ones.

I think there are 1 or 2 android handsets on ARMV6 that are not that slow that you could even consider to target and support them and their install base is below 0.1% of the android install base, which does not exactly justify any support

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  34. DanTreble

DanTreble

I'll digest your massive reply in a minute, but I think one of your points was games would run badly on these devices. My response is, maybe that's true for your games, but Rocket Bunnies runs at a solid 45fps on a Optimus One.

35. DanTreble

DanTreble

Dreamora, you once told me gap less looping of audio was impossible and I should not expect it. You'll forgive me if I try and push the envelope while you argue for living well within the bounds.

Dream bigger Dreamora!

36. Dreamora

Dreamora

Thats true that rocket bunnies works well, thats why I mentioned "if they are simple enough" (I don't want to imply that anything is bad with simple, you can create great stuff with simple graphics).

Good thing is at whatever point UT decides to scrap ARMV6 to put more efforts into getting even better performance on the current gen devices, the "important" 80-90% of the install base, you can always use the current version and happily continue to target ARMV6 as games like Rocket Bunnies have all the features they need, I doubt future Unity releases will add that much thats usable when targeting such devices that it becomes a "Do or Die" situation :)

37. padworx

padworx

Hi, I am wondering what the device support development process is at Unity. How are you going about adding new devices to the official list? Are you targeting specific hardware/manufacturers? Please provide some insight as to how you are handling android hardware fragmentation internally.

Regards,
    PadWorx
    Unity pro + android + asset server

38. Wozik

Wozik

Dan, there's only few ARMv6 devices that have a good GPU, Optimus, few SE and a few Huaweis are among them.

padworx, if you're asking what devices do we buy/get and test on, then the answer is - the devices that matter on the US and EU markets. We're also slowly taking into an account Asian devices.

And targeting... ARMv7 + Android OS 2.0.1 are all the minimum specs. No specific brands, vendors, OEMs, etc.

39. muhammadgyan

muhammadgyan

I try develop with unity3.3 on my android devices ( Samsung galaxy mini )..buat my devices get an error. are unity didn't support my devices??i try to change player setting from "armv7" to "armv6 with VFP" but i get same error..

40. shrirang

shrirang

Can I run unity on Sharp Galapagos 003SH. How do I use the devices 3D effect?

41. kromenak

kromenak

Has anyone had any luck running Unity games on the Motorola Cliq? One of our testers is getting the message: ‘Problem Parsing the Package.’ on this device. Is that related to compatibility, or is that some other kind of issue?

42. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

If you aren't certain your ARMv6 device works with unity properly, Try installing a game that you know works properly. For example:
    http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.matmi.UnitedAirlines

I have an Optimus V, and I know for certain that game runs on it. It's an ARMv6 with VFP. If you are really wanting to check out it's capabilities, try getting Dogfight Lite since it has more polygons on the screen and is a bit more advanced. If you don't own the device, go somewhere that has it and see if they have a demo set up. If so, simply download these games off of market and see if they work.

43. superman_legendary

superman_legendary

Unity Engine works somewhat on EVO 3D but its mostly broken because all games with the Unity Engine have a random freeze problem on EVO 3D/Sensation Adreno 220 gpu so they are all pretty much unplayable.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  44. SteveTwo

SteveTwo

I see the HTC Incredible in the list, but has anyone done any testing with the Incredible 2? I want to make sure my next phone is also something I can develop on.

45. ZorkLike

ZorkLike

And how about Asus Eee Pad TF101? It is NVidia Tegra and ARM-Cortex A9 but I don't see it in list

46. Darkmonk

Darkmonk

Hi guys,

Can anyone recomend a cheap phone that works with unity and would be good for testing?
    i dont want to get a nice new one as it will only be used for testing and not as my normal phone so i dont want to spend too much on it.

Ive been looking around and the Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 looks pretty good and it has a hardware keyboard which i thought would be usefull for testing purposes but im not sure if it works with unity.
    Can anyone confirm if the Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 works with unity ?

Thanks

47. Lukas H

Lukas H

You can add the Motorola Milestone and Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo to the list.

Tested it the otherday and works without problems, though the Milestone its not the fastest device out there.

Also, there are reports on this forum thats the HTC Sensation doesn't work but I've had a build of Jimmy Pataya on it with out any problems. Not sure if you should add it to the list or not?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  48. yaoklin

yaoklin

HI ,houw about HTC sensation, double core ! can unity work on it successfully ?

49. r618

r618

guys,

is HTC HD 2 okay with unity android?
    I am completely not familiar with android phones and their specs

50. Deleted User

Deleted User

Unity Angry Bots demo and other my projects compiled with Unity 3.4 run perfectly on Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Android 3.1 :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2011