Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Android vs Unity

Discussion in 'Android' started by Deleted User, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have spent time learning the basics of android apps programming and I'm currently on Unity. From what i understand so far, android gradle files are easily accessible and can be modified as long as a person understands the code. Is there a way to access unity gradle files like android and modify them so I can choose any unity version i want and have no problems accessing the files? I am currently in a course in Udemy website and there's no tutorial at all on how to modify the files. Is it safe and easy to learn? I have not checked the internet as I'm busy following the tutorials. Any suggestions / recommendations would be useful. Beware that I'm using the latest 2019 version so if you happen to have any reference, it is best to be the latest to be as useful as possible. If there's no information on this, then I just won't bother with the files.

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Make sure, you are using exactly same Unity version as tutorial.
    In dev, you need look different resouces. There is tones of free tutorials on the net.
    Also, read forum, and use search (forum and search engines). People discussing often any issues, if arise.

And you are probably better to use Unity 2018.x for learning, since 2019.x may be least stable.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Your suggestion to use 2018 is not possible as unity as been designed to create the .apk file only when you use the latest version. In fact, 2019.2 has a problem creating the .apk as the java tools cannot be detected. I know this because 2019.1.12 was working well and i had no problems creating the .apk file.

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

All versions of Unity can create APK files, I'm using 2018 and 2019 here daily to build for Android.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Antypodish likes this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

To JeffUnity3d,

OK then maybe you can help solve this which i gave to the unity development team as a bug report. Check the screenshots and explain why these are taking place. I didn't have problems with previous versions. The unity development team has noted that whatever feature i saw in the 2018 that the tutorial gave is no longer available. Simply downloading the same version does not work the way you think. Note that I'm not arguing or debating with you. I'm just intersted in an explanation.

Attached Files:

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Yes, there are some errors. My point is, they are not by design and we are working on them. Does your project require Unity 2019.2? You might want to use the latest version that was working for you.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes, I have actually updated your team: I have removed and reinstalled everything and now unity hub is performing much better. I look forward to more improvement. I will consider getting older versions when i have time to experiment with different versions..

JeffDUnity3D likes this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

To JeffUnity3D,
    I have tested quite a few things. Let me know if you think posting the information here is better or if a normal bug report is what your team wants. Is your team getting too many reports?

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

To JeffUnity 3D,
    I recently sent quite a number of bug reports to your QA team stating that my 2d racing game and other projects were not properly upgraded when 2019.1.12, 2019.1.13 and 2019.2 were installed. I was stunned when your team members refuse to acknowledge or apologize for the damage. I wish to ask what is happening to these unity versions.

10. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Ok buddy, can we stop with the entitlement? Yes you sent bug reports, as do many of the other 5 million+ unity users. There is no requirement for them to respond or do anything.

Do you pay for unity? If so you will have premium support and you will get a reply using that. It seems you expect to be treated like a premium support user for using the free version, which ofcourse is ridiculous.

Your bug has been filed, and they will fix it when they have time.

There is no requirement to apologise to you for a bug in the software that specifically affects you nor is that even sensible, do you honestly think every other program out there hands out apologies for bugs? Every software team would spend all their time writing apologies instead of fixing the bugs.

If it was a big breaking thing that affected everyone sure, but you are just one person, so act accordingly.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

I understand your point. But at least understand my story before you judge. I sent them a report that the upgrade damaged my project. I tried to downgrade and it didn't work. When i asked for help, they send a not nice report saying not supported. How would you have felt if this happened to you? I am not premium support but i don't believe courtesy is difficult for them. It's not a question of rules. It's a question of attitude.

12. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I would have felt that it is not supported. Its as plain as the answer you were given.

I thought you hadnt got a response but clearly you got one from support so I dont see what the problem is other than you not accepting the outcome.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

You still don't understand my point. I never said i didn't accept their reply. I said they were not nice in their reply. They were rude. You obviously don't know the difference between support and courtesy. They can say they don't support BUT give a proper courteous reply.

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi, leave this user to moderators and Unity staff, thanks everyone.

@JulianHSC game development typically follows an approach where you do not upgrade what is working unless it's a last resort. This is a standard approach for all developers, and only amateurs ignore it.

Essentially it works like this (no matter what engine you use):
    • You will use version control so that upgrading, downgrading and making changes does not affect your product or software you are engineering. It is insurance and protection for your development.
    • You will only upgrade to a new version of middleware or engine if there is no other choice. Indeed, game engines for consoles and other typically get updated when there is a new console, so that can be years apart.

Unity provide a clear warning that upgrading can break your project, and you should back up or use version control. You ignored this then realised that it would be necessary to do some work because when Unity upgrades, it actually changes the engine code. Some features may not be available any more. Other features may have changed. Unity documents these in the upgrade notes as well.

You are the reason your game is having problems after an upgrade. In addition, downgrading is also a problem, again because you do not use version control.

This is because you are not familiar with how software development works. You will not find a single professional in this field that will support you, because you are doing it wrong.

So to fix this, you need to first of all, invest in and understand version control. This means you are immune to mistakes and breaking issues, and can roll back to any particular point for safety.

Once you have version control, you can then engage the forum with "how do I effectively upgrade to version xyz" and tackle any issues you may have, and the forum will help you. Currently we can't help you because you have stormed into the room and demanded that experts all stop and do things your way, and your way is the broken way.

Take the post as it's intended: just a firm reminder that you need to upgrade your concept of game development and embrace version control. This is not optional, and I mean it in your very best interests.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  15. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello hippocoder,
    Thank you for your reply and the information. Let me clarify what ultimately caused all this. You can check with the unity QA team if you aren't happy with what I'm saying:

As i stated in this thread, i was originally using the 2018.1.8 (i think it's this version) , when for no reason, the java tools just disappeared. I found that by upgrading my unity, it reappeared. Please don't ask me how java disappeared as earlier replies would tell you i'm not an expert. As a second point, when your QA team replied in the bug report, it was THEM who asked me to upgrade. Obviously as a beginner, one would listen and follow. How was I to know it would be something that's wrong or not suitable? You should be checking with them why they give this advise. I know you aren't blaming me but the point is the advise was inherently wrong. So you should discuss with them why they are giving this. I will stop here because i can fix my project by just copying the codes and by reinstalling the tools but i need to see which java version can be used with the older unity. Can you help on this? To worsen the situation, they mentioned repeatedly that only the latest version has support - something I need. Since I can't find the latest help on the internet, would you be kind enough to provide the links that others have found? If you can, we can just close this thread as it's no longer useful. I'm sure others can benefit from the tutorial too.

16. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@JulianHSC I am not familiar with your issues. And there should never be any "damage" to a project, ever. Simply upgrade a back up of your project to test the process. But to your point, we have several issues with Unity 2019 as we are moving more components into Package Manager. Growing pains, please be patient. For QA to address your issues, you generally need to start with a new/empty project and upload that. Please don't upload your main project, but a (very) small one that reproduces the issue. Or just ask here.