Search Unity

Android - unsign Unity generated APK file?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by aerende, Sep 10, 2010.

1. aerende

aerende

Does anyone have a good approach to unsigning a Unity generated APK file for Android so that I can submit the APK file to the Android market?

The way I am currently unsigning the APK file is that I unzip the APK file and then remove the META.INF directory. Then I rezip the directory and change the suffix to .apk. Then I sign this new APK. But this new APK file will not upload to the Androd market.

1) Does anyone know how to unsign a Unity generated APK file?

The other problem I have with the Unity generated APK file is that the AndroidManifest.xml file is in binary format.

2) Does anyone know how to convert the Unity generated AndroidManifest.xml into a ASCII format?

3) I've also tried selecting my keystore in the Player->Publishing Settings and providing the passwords, and uploading the APK file that is then generated, but this APK file will not upload either.

4) Are there any tutorials on submitting a Unity generated Android app to the Android market?

2. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

You can use the debug-signed .apk during development for uploading to the phone.
    And use the built-in publishing options of signing the .apk during the building process to get an .apk ready for upload to the market.
    When do you need an unsigned .apk?

AFAIK, there is no way. But you can inspect the generated AndroidManifest.xml found under Temp/StagingArea, after building the .apk package.

Well, that doesn't mean that the .apk in itself is faulty. If you aim to upload the .apk to the market you should use the Publishing Settings / Key Alias.

I guess we will need to put something together to cover this, but really, we test this before releasing and basically all we do is to make sure to select a Key Alias under Publishing Settings before building the .apk and subsequently uploading it to the market.
    Have you tried uploading a very simple scene to see if that works?

3. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

Hello,
    i am working for customer with his own keystroke= customer want to sign .apk and uploading to Market with this (secret) keystroke.

How can i distribute my Android application to this customer? For iOS i can send Xcode Project folder and it works...

I think i need unsigned .apk file from Unity, and customer use jarsigner.exe... Does that make sense?

Sorry my english but i do not found answer for my problem. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  4. brunomesmo

brunomesmo

Did you ever find a solution? I am in the same boat.

Question thumbs+

5. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

Answer from Unity Support:

"
    Currently Unity offer no option to create unsigned apks, but you should be able to unsign your apk manually, so it later can be signed. I will file a feature request on this so we can consider adding this option.

http://www.jondev.net/articles/Unsigning_Android_APK_Packages
    "

Thanks

6. cdr9042

cdr9042

How is the progress on this?