Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

android texture not yet compressed

Discussion in '2019.1 Beta' started by creat327, Feb 18, 2019.

1. creat327

creat327

Debugging my latest apk build I noticed these messages:
    D/Unity (10257): WARNING: RGB Compressed PVRTC 4BPP UNorm format is not supported, decompressing texture

I was surprised because I don't have any PVRTC setup for android. So I went to check the textures and they all have this text "not yet compressed". If I change the resize algorithm of the texture and hit apply, then it compresses correctly to ETC

So, the textures are not compressed now by default? Do I need to hit anything for the editor to compress them without having to go through all the textures on my project one by one?

2. Prodigga

Prodigga

Why is this happening recently? It is causing some issues in our builds because the builds are having their assets packed with 'not yet compressed' textures. We need to manually re-import every single texture in our project before we do a build because we can't rely on Unity to do it for us anymore.

What is this reason for this change? Can we revert this back? It is also causing other issues with incompatible file formats that require a reimport to fix. For example, swapping from PC to Android will cause all the lightmaps to 'break'. They look blown out. But this is because the lightmap is 'not yet compressed'. Manually reimporting the lightmaps corrects the issue.

See here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/tex...g-or-switching-platforms.601162/#post-4226380

3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

In what Unity version did this problem start to occur?

Is it perhaps this issue?
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...nt-re-import-slash-compress-all-needed-assets

If it's a different issue, it's probably a good idea to submit a bug-report, with a (small) project to reproduce the issue, as described in this document:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

Don't miss to post the bug-report Case number (number only, not the link) in this forum thread for Unity staff to pick up, in case they see it.

LeonhardP likes this.
  4. creat327

creat327

well I don't know if it's the same bug or whether it's related to IAP. I sure had to reimport the full project and wait for 8 hours to finish. It seems "switch platform" is not doing anything. It keeps the texture format from the previous whatever platform, in this case was iOS before android.

5. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Did you change build targets since the last time the project built correctly and does your project include the IAP package?

The default behaviour should not have changed. As Peter said, a bug report with the reproduction steps and a small reproduction project would be much appreciated.