Search Unity

Android tablet or phone

Discussion in 'Android' started by mikevanman, Nov 3, 2011.

1. mikevanman

mikevanman

Well I'v done a few apps for the iPhone now so its time I bought the Android add-on, however I also need to get an Android device.

So do people think I should get a tablet or phone (bit sad but its me birthdays soon so I said to the wife get me an android device)

I was tempted to get the new Motorola xoom (Dixons in the UK have them on special offer)

however I was just thinking (coming from doing some iPad and iPhone apps) in the world of Android I see lots of phones, but are their many people using Android tablets. In a nut shell would I bet better off getting an Android phone for development (as this would be the main market for apps) or would it not really be an issue having a tablet to test apps for the phone.

any advice greatly welcome

2. AndroidGaming.nl

AndroidGaming.nl

The biggest Android market is still on the smartphones, a non-tegra 2 one. Bút... and this is an Android problem: you need to make sure which devices you want to support. A HTC Wildfire and a Samsung Galaxy S2 are both Android phones, but performance wise in a completly different league. Google has good offers for developers with their Nexus smartphones, i would recommend you to look into that.

Also with ICS (Android 4.0) the border between smartphone and tablet is almost gone. It just requires one string of code to enable tablet support.

Also, there is a BIG Android community which would love to test your games on all the different platforms.

3. All_American

All_American

My brother got a Droidx2 and it is a pretty fast computer....er I mean phone..

That will be my nest phone or one inline with that. It has a dual-core proc..

4. Antonee

Antonee

I have a droidx last year right before the tegra2's came out so i stuck with my droidx. though I am generaly locked out from tegra2 games i can play dungeon defence which is a unreal engine game. tegra2 tablets can be picked up on the cheap! tegra3 kal el android 4 tablets and phones will launch this nov/dec. and the tegra4 wayne chip will come out in 2012 and it surpass ps3/360 in performance. whayne comes with quad and octicore will support dx11, opengl 4, opencl and physx.

phones =more casual game sales. tablet= more hardcore dedicated game sales. phone+tablet= smart buisness model :)