Search Unity

1. All Pro and Enterprise subscribers: find helpful & inspiring creative, tech, and business know-how in the new Unity Success Hub. Sign in to stay up to date.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Android symbols.zip is too big

Discussion in 'Android' started by PuddingEntertainment, Sep 7, 2020.

1. PuddingEntertainment

PuddingEntertainment

Hey all,

there was a thread that is somehow related, but it is unfortunately not followed anymore, so I decided to start another one.

I have the option "Create symbols.zip" enabled but the generated zip size is too big > 400MB whereas Google Console accepts only up to 300MB.
    StackTrace Log Type is set to ScriptOnly. Looking inside the archive I can see that there are 2 symbols - one for each selected architecture (ARMv7 and ARM64).

What to do in this case? Such archive is not accepted by Google Play Console.

Unity 2019.4.3

P.S.
    I'm not alone with this issue, somebody asked the same question on SO also

makaka-org likes this.
  2. kaarloew

kaarloew

Did you try rezipping the content with maximum compression level?

makaka-org likes this.
  3. PuddingEntertainment

PuddingEntertainment

Hey @kaarloew , thanks for suggestion, that helped to reduce the size to ~120MB !
    I hope Unity devs will see this and apply better compression for the generated symbols.zip

4. carbon_studios

carbon_studios

That helped reduce the file size, but now you cannot upload it:

"The native debug symbols contain an invalid directory my_app.symbols. Only Android ABIs are supported."

sivaliZation likes this.
  5. sivaliZation

sivaliZation

Previously re-zipping worked without an issue, but now its throwing invalid error!

6. Tymianek

Tymianek

@carbon_studios
    U need to unzip it, go to the folder, zip the contents, not the folder itself.

7. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

My team also has this issue in all our projects. Our games are quite small in fact, but the native debugging symbols zip is way above the Google Play upload limit of 300 MB.

The workaround to unzip and rezip works fine. We've also automated this in our custom build pipeline, but please Unity, just fix this in your code. I don't know how it's possible to even create such a large zip in the first place, but for me, it's a one-liner with the NetStandard2.0 ZipFile library and it does a much better job at compressing the file. Zipping also only takes a fraction of a second, so I don't think there's any reason to prefer less compression. The Google Play upload works fine as well.

8. tonyrobots

tonyrobots

Here to support this request for better compression of the symbols .ZIP file. Just unzipped the contents and rezipped using .7z and went from 360MB to 92MB. The contents themselves are 360MB uncompressed, so it would appear the "zipping" that unity does doesn't involve any compression at all.

9. vitaly

vitaly

In my case symbols.zip is almost 2 GB. When rezipping it I get 500 MB which is still too much. Are there any other suggestions?

Ardito92ITA likes this.
  10. Ardito92ITA

Ardito92ITA

I've got the same problem

11. MikeMnD

MikeMnD

Check this:

And also what helped me at the end was deleting the debug files and renaming the others to libil2cpp.so then zipping them again. Other way with the dbg. files it always goes over 300mb

12. el_Guero

el_Guero

Same problem. My symbols are about 1.5GB when rezipping I get around 400mb. How can this be solved? Somebody found out?

And why are those symbols so big anyways in the first place?

13. kaarloew

kaarloew

Most likely because you have so many plugins in your project.

14. muhammad_unity424

muhammad_unity424

15. el_Guero

el_Guero

Nope

16. poliman

poliman

I've got the same problem
    nothing works to reduce it repacking to below 300mb

Any solutions?

17. Tomas1856

Tomas1856