Search Unity

Android support (stability)?

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by cAyouMontreal, Apr 29, 2020.

1. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

Hello!
    I wanted to know more about if there is some issues to be expected when using vfxgraph for mobiles, because we are experiencing some issues with the vfxgraph we made in our game. I thought it was only required to support compute shaders and it will work.
    For example I have one effect that uses cube output, and in some devices it renders flat planes (big ones) with the texture applied on it, very weird. And some other devices will simply not display the effect...
    I'm a bit worried to have chosen this tool to make our vfx, because it's "out of preview" and I trusted it....Maybe too soon?

2. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

3. qsleonard

qsleonard

Hi there! Another question for VFX Graph dev team. @VladVNeykov

A few weeks ago we started to develop a mobile game and I decided to use VFX graph for effects. However, I didn't see threads like this and I thought, that as VFX Graph was released for URP, it's ok to use it for mobile development.
    But currently I am facing very annoying and frightening bugs such as random dead stucks because of some effects. I tested it and it's still completely unclear, what subsystem or block in graph (or combination of them) is actually responsible for these bugs.

So my question is the following: how soon can we expect at least some kind of stability on mobile devices?
    It is very important for us, because if it is planned to be released in a year or sooner, we will continue to develop our game with VFX Graph, otherwise... Well, otherwise it will be very sadly for us :(

And I beg you not to answer somthing like "We can't say for sure" or "We can't take the responsibility to make such predictions". If someone can make such predictions - it is you :)

Thank you in advance!

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  4. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @qsleonard ,

The goal is to have the VFX be production-ready for both mobile devices which can support compute shaders and have full URP integration in under one year from now. In the meantime, we strongly encourage the use of the built-in particle system for any production targeting mobile platforms. If you'd like to simulate many particles with the built-in system, we recently added support for the C# Job system.

I hope you can see this not as a lack of responsibility, but as genuinely desire to not give the wrong information in the face of a global pandemic. Everyone has their own challenges working in the lock-down conditions, and we certainly don't want to add to that giving out information which might change.

That being said, please feel free to upvote mobile support on our roadmap as this helps prioritize future feature development.

Hope this helps!

qsleonard likes this.