Search Unity

[Android] Starlost, top down space shooter/asteroid miner :)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by dispatch_starlost, Apr 23, 2018.

1. dispatch_starlost

dispatch_starlost

Hi all, I'm an indie dev from Western Australia and have just released my first game after 3 years of dev work. I hope you like it!

Here is our trailer:

And here is some screenshots:

The game is free to play on Android, but it is of exceptional quality. Please take a look it would mean the world to us!

Direct link to app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hoodwinked.starlost

A quick overview of the game:
    - Top down space shooter/asteroid miner with lengthy SP campaign
    - 3D graphics
    - Build turrets & drones, research upgrades and subsystems
    - Tons of different loadout styles

Let me know what you think!

TenKHoursDev and RavenOfCode like this.
  2. DaveMApplegate

DaveMApplegate

This is really fun. Where you working on this full time over the past three years? Was this just yourself?

Also, you might want to tone down the ads. It really breaks gameplay.

3. dispatch_starlost

dispatch_starlost

Hey, glad you like it :)

It was a 2 man effort, we started with no game dev experience but unity really does make things easy.

The ads are our number 1 complaint so far :eek:

4. EternalMerodach

EternalMerodach

Hey,

It is really a nice game. There was an old PC game pretty similar to yours that I used to play a lot. So far I am enjoying with no major complaints.

At first when I saw "0 lootboxes" at the title screen I tought it would be one of those games trying to force me to buy them, but after playing it, I don't feel that. I got some free boxes with a few power ups and 1 antenna.

I felt relieved when I found out the cosmetics could be bought, with no need to get them on lootboxes. And that's why I am enjoying my golden skin and no ads ;)

But now, we get to some issues. Two minor issues so far, but they are bottering me a bit.

There is some way of locking the zoom? Or could you add a zoom lock? I find it quite nice to play with both thumbs, but the screen goes crazy zooming in and out every time. For me there isn't a need for zoom at all, maybe I missing something?

========== This does not seem to happen anymore after restarting the phone, so I don't know if there was something with the ads ============

Another thing that happens from time to time, even after disabling ads (through the game feature, don't worry). Sometimes when I press the screen top to move the ship up, it moves down instead and I have to release and press again. I don't know if there is anything to do with the ads up top or I am touching something on the bottom of the screen. Will do some more testing and let you know if I find something.

=========================================

Congratulations on your first game :D

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  5. DaveMApplegate

DaveMApplegate

Were you guys both working full time?

6. dispatch_starlost

dispatch_starlost

The zoom could be locked yeah, we'll need to add a toggle for it in the options menu. You're the very first person to mention it though.... I'll add it to the todo list anyway.

7. dispatch_starlost

dispatch_starlost

Near the end I was, well for about 6 months. It began with "in our spare time" but gradually got more serious. Games take so much work! It's crazy how much work has gone into this game.

8. DaveMApplegate

DaveMApplegate

You're hard work shows. How have the game's downloads been?

9. EternalMerodach

EternalMerodach

I may have found the issue leading to the weird ship movement that happened sometimes. When I am touching the screen to move the ship, if I move my thumb and end up hovering a control, like one of the subsystems buttons, the ship starts to move almost in circle going back and forth (maybe the same was happening with the ads).

This is a bit bothersome, because sometimes while fighting a horde of enemies the ship suddenly changed direction straight to enemy missiles =P

10. dispatch_starlost

dispatch_starlost

Downloads have been.. ok. I've been working full time trying to increase them since launch. It really would have helped to have a dedicated marketing expert or similar on the team.

11. scorows

scorows

Hey dev's. Not sure if this question has been answered. Is there a foreseeable release of the next portion to this game? I really enjoyed the gameplay. Enough to spend money to buy a few things, which I only do if a game really catches my attention. Great graphics and great storyline with some humor splashed in..lol. My apologies if this is a repeated question.

12. dispatch_starlost

dispatch_starlost

Hey mate, yes a sequel is being worked on, and Starlost is still also in active development. We are adding challenges next :)

Feel free to join our discord for discussion and news on the updates, we're on there all the time: https://discord.gg/37efV54

13. scorows

scorows

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'll check out discord and keep up the good work.