Search Unity

Android settings render garbage when Anti Aliasing is turned off

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by karaokefreak, Oct 6, 2018.

1. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Hi
    I have a problem with unity when it comes to rendering the graphics of my game under the Android settings, which has an effect on the whole game due to many Android cell phones not being able to use Anti Aliasing.

Here is what happens:

I made a pinball game with the "pinball creator" asset. It works fine and I already made a PC version of the game. However, on Android it isn't playable under certain circumstances due to the graphics engine rendering garbage. To be exact, it will render all 3D elements several times and have them remain on screen, which looks like a heavy motion-blur effect (but is none, it's just a repetition of elements coming up when the camera moves). See my screenshot below.

I found out what causes this in the unity editor: when I go to [Edit -> graphics settings -> quality] and turn Anti Aliasing off, this unwanted effect will appear (even in the Unity 5 editor). However, when I turn Anti Aliasing to 2x or higher, it will disappear and everything will be displayed correctly.

So what is wrong with that setting? Can I change a certain renderer setting in order to avoid this?

The problem is that it all works fine on my Samsung Galaxy S8, since - obviously - this cell can use a higher graphics setting with Anti Aliasing enabled. But I also installed it on an older Galaxy S5, and there it is unplayable due to the same kind of graphics garbage. So I guess that this phone is not able to use Anti Aliasing - I even tried forcing AA on it by enabling it in the lowes graphics quality setting, but it won't work. The GS5 will still render garbage.

I don't know whether its important or not, but I wanted to add that I use "gamma" colour space, which I have to do in order to avoid the build settings reporting a compatibility conflict...

I appreciate all kinds of advice. I simply don't know what is going on...
    Thanks in advance for all kinds of help!

UnityGarbagerender.jpg

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

This "effect" is often caused if the camera "ClearFlags" property is set to "Don't Clear". Can you check if this is case?

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-Camera.html

3. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Awesome, man!!! Thank you, that worked. I am so grateful! Can I buy you a beer? :)

Peter77 likes this.
  4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

LOL, glad I could help!

karaokefreak likes this.