Search Unity

Bug Android SDK settings affected by other Unity versions

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by flimflamm, Aug 3, 2022.

1. flimflamm

flimflamm

This bug is slightly odd as it exists *between* unity versions, and occurs when the Preferences > External Tools > Android > Android SDK Tools boolean is changed in one Unity version, which also changes it in another Unity version when it is loaded. (the setting i have tested is specifically the boolean that allows you to set a custom path pointing to an SDK version).

Versions 2021.3.7f1 and versions 2022.2.0a18 appear to mutually affect each-other when settings are changed in one, and then the other version is reloaded.

While this bug specifically does not really cause a problem because the boolean can be changed as needed, I suspect it is specifically related to the Android NDK/SDK mis-match bug/issue that currently/previously exists in many of the 2022 Unity versions.

Given that Unity versions are somehow cross-wired in this way (specfically with Android tools), it stands to reason that the cause is also related to why the NDK/SDK versions are not properly installing for many users. It might also be relevant that not everyone seems to experience this issue, which might be due to where or how Unity versions are being installed, or which are already installed.

The issue is apparently fixed in 2023, but it's possible that the root cause has not been fully addressed, which is why I'm making this post. There have been noticeable performance degradations for Android builds (specifically VR applications where it is painful and noticeable) with newer and newer Unity versions, including 2023 (where allegedly the performance is supposed to *increase*) so i suspect there are still a number of under-the-hood issues that need to be resolved.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.