Search Unity

[Android] Right Round - an original arcade game I guess

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ExEightySix, Jan 6, 2018.

1. ExEightySix

ExEightySix

So in November last year I came up with this original idea for an arcade game.

I wanted it to be original, but accessible. I did my best so it didn't look like any game I had ever seen on the Play Store. And it really doesn't. Altough it's a gameplay is based on reaction time just like other minimalistic arcade game, it feels like something new:

You control a ball constantly spinning around other larger balls, which are like platforms. There are obstacles on the surface of these platforms. Your goal is to jump from platform to platform, going as far as you can. The challenge here is being able to jump at the right moment in order to not miss the next platform and avoid the obstacles. The speed of the game increases as you progress. There are four difficulty levels, each with a different starting speed

I spent 2 months working on this. After the game was finally done a few days ago, I took some decent looking screenshots and wrote a short description that covered everything you do in the game. I thought everything looked pretty decent. I decided to name my game "Ball Grind", then I uploaded it to the Play Store.

I knew I had to promote my game to some extent so I posted about in several forums. My posts were viewed a reasonable number of times. But I only got one reply. And only ONE download.

I don't understand why. I don't even get any feedback. I made something original and fun, but why is no one caring?

All I want at this is point is for someone to tell me what they think is wrong with my game. Just that. Please.

Here's the icon:

And a screenshot:

Here's the Google Play Store link : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xeightysix.game1

Thank you for your consideration.

Attached Files:

2. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

In a nutshell, I have a quick cruel feedback for you but I will put it at the end. Yeah. I also realized that some sections of Unity forum is getting colder (Silence) over years. Not as active as previous time. Maybe forum era is already ended. Alright, long story short @ExEightySix. Here's my feedback for you.

I immediately recalls those games that made by Ketchapp when seeing your game. Simple and clean design on mobile platforms is always nice but this is just too clean. Art design has a big big big improvement gap. Those colors combination totally not matching. The trail renderer feels blurry and low quality. I haven't download the game yet but according to screenshots, I think the gameplay is good. You should implement either Google or Facebook leaderboard to let people to challenge their friends. More gameplay and unlocks can be added. Slow motion for a period of time for example. IAP also a good consideration. Watching ads features can be added too but don't put too much or players will immediately uninstall your game. Try to think at least one replay value or your game will feel boring very quickly.

I do not feel wanna download the game when seeing those art. The packaging is bad. Not something that will catch your eyes immediately. A great improvement / remake of the art is a must.

Keep it up.:)

3. ExEightySix

ExEightySix

I see. How would you suggest I improve the artwork?

4. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

You can take references from any simplicity games from Ketchapp. Puzzlerama, Ultra Flow, Hocus, Infinity Loop, Two Dots, and many more. Study their color usage. You can use Photoshop etc... to absorb their colors and compare to yours and see what is the different. You may realized something after that.

5. ExEightySix

ExEightySix

UPDATE - no more unpleasant color constrasts.

6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Akira provided solid and agreeable feedback.
    You might also consider a gameplay video, which - imo - is consumer friendly. It provides instant delivery of the gameplay to the viewer so they can decide if they want to check out the game or not. Right now gamers are only seeing the graphics and deciding not to play the game. If the game is 'original' as you say it is - more gamers will look past the graphics to play the original gameplay, but they need to see it in action to make that decision. The description is not selling the gameplay.

A video will benefit you because if the visuals (graphics) are deterring people from checking out the game (they are) a video could show them the gameplay is more entertaining than the graphics are unappealing. They can see the original gameplay and get more information about the game - to make a decision to play the game anyway, even if they think the visuals aren't great.