Search Unity

Android permissions; what's ok or not

Discussion in 'Android' started by SpacePixel, Jul 20, 2016.

1. SpacePixel

SpacePixel

Hi,
    I'm trying out a plugin that will track wireless network quality, it runs silently in the background and (hopefully) is not intrusive in any way.
    My app when running this will require the permissions at the bottom of this post. My questions are; are these permissions all OK with potential users? Anything that could be deemed a little scary?
    Ive seen reviews where users have immediately aborted installation when the permissions start asking for network sensitive data, though given the nature of the plugin could this be explained as necessary and safe in the install notes?
    Also, are there any permissions that are not recommended, as in they may seem a little intrusive and put some of the more tech savvy users off? I'd welcome any experience of Android permissions from Unity coders, for my current project and for the future.

Permisions req'd.------------------------------------

android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION This permission is used for retrieving the location of the device using the Global Positioning System (GPS) of the device on devices with a GPS.

android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION This permission is used for derived the location of the device using network location sources such as cell towers and Wi-Fi.

android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE This permission is used for retrieving the network connection information (cellular service provider, mobile country code, & mobile network code) the device is connected to.

android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE This permission is used for retrieving the Wi-Fi SSID/BSSID information and collect information about the surrounding available Wi-Fi networks.

android.permission.INTERNET This permission is used for testing network quality and transferring collected data over a network connection.

2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Users are pretty used to those permissions, should be ok as far as I can tell.

3. orb

orb

The first two are ones which savvy users might question, but approve if explained. The average user just clicks OK on everything. Unleash that malware if you like ;)

Pro-tip: Don't embed malware.

MD_Reptile likes this.