Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Android Multi-threaded rendering not working?

Discussion in '2017.3 Beta' started by davidosullivan, Nov 30, 2017.

1. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

In 2017.1.p2 I tried an Android build with multi-threaded rendering turned on and it was totally fantastic, maybe even doubled my frame rate. I couldn't use it unfortunately because it made video playback from urls absolutely terrible.

I was hoping this might work in 2017.3. But building an Android with multi-threaded rendering on, now seems to give no performance benefit at all, but the video play back is fine! So:

2017.1.p2 + multi-threaded rendering = amazing performance + awful video playback
    2017.3.b11 + multi-threaded rendering = no performance improvement + normal video playback

It 'feels' like multi threaded rendering has been disabled in Android or something. Is this something any one knows about or the Unity team could comment on?

Could I expect it to get better and give me 'amazing performance' + 'video playback that's not awful'?

2. rjonaitis

rjonaitis

Unity Technologies

Hi, can you try 2017.1.2p3? It has the same android video player multithreaded rendering fix as which was made into 2017.3.b9.
    What kind of video you're trying to play, and what Android device you're testing with? It would be best to report such case with a reproduction project.