Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Android module slowing down Editor for non-Android projects now on Unity 2021

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by rz_0lento, Jul 14, 2021.

1. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Edit: Issue tracker now here https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...r-a-few-seconds-with-scanning-for-usb-devices

I've submitted a bug report about this (case 1349380) but QA doesn't see this is as a bug so reporting here for awareness.

Basically what happens now on 2021.2 is that if you happened to install Android module along with the engine version you use, every project - regardless if it targets android or not - will get stalled on every project load for ~4 seconds for scanning USB devices by Android Extension. This can sometimes happen even when the editor has loaded the project - despite you never needing this on a Windows project for example.

I do wonder why this isn't seen as an issue because it's a clear regression, this didn't happen on 2020.3. Blank 3D project loads in 6 seconds on my rig using 2020.3 and 2021.2 takes 10 seconds to load because of the extra time taken by Android Extension. Of course those few extra seconds are not that long but it gets old quickly + it really annoys you when it happens while doing other things inside the editor.

Only way to counter this is to just simply not install Android support for the editor version you are using for your Windows etc projects..

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    AcidArrow likes this.
  2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Because despite their many blog posts, they appear to not care about their users' time.

Isn't there a way to disable Android debugging / Extension? Feels like this should be a thing that is explicitly activated by a checkbox or something, even if your project is set to Android.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    unity_uCAh1YGgjxXPOw likes this.
  3. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I'd love to know if there's some way to do this manually. All I see in editor preferences is the Android SDK etc path settings.

Sorry for the tone but it still amazes me that Unity can't do naive platform check before performing Android specific operations, it makes one wonder if they are just stubborn to not make it work or really don't know how to solve this because on paper it feels like really easy thing to solve if there is will to do so.

For the time being, I've removed Android support on all 2021 engine versions now. I'll just use one 2020.3 version for my Quest prototyping so it won't interfere with actual work I do (it really shouldn't be like this).

4. fherbst

fherbst

Pinging @LeonhardP because this seems to be a beta regression

5. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi everybody,

The short story is that this is a side effect of a range of improvements to fix connectivity issues with USB on Android to afford a better profiling experience. I'm in touch with the devs about it and we'll get back to you with a more elaborate explanation next week.

6. fherbst

fherbst

Thanks Leonhard for following up here, looking forward to more on this.

To add to what Olento said, while fixing connectivity issues is certainly welcome, it shouldn't lead to occassional freezing editor interruptions (as right now, randomly popping up connectivity progress bar that takes 3-5s), no matter if someone is working on an Android project or not.

(and a side note, the profiling experience on Android isn't great - seems the profiler isn't able to figure out which open editor instance tries to connect to a device, routing messages and profiling data to the wrong instance(s) with a totally different project open and where profiling isn't even enabled. But that's a separate discussion and most likely a future bug report ;))

rz_0lento likes this.
  7. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

8. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

First off, we will be making this check async in the upcoming weeks.

We've reopened the bug to allow you to keep track of the status of this work. The reason we initially categorized this as “by design” is because we were aware of the behaviour when we implemented it and were tracking its planned improvement internally. Apologies for the confusion and lack of initial information @rz_0lento.

No one stops you from building Android, then building some other platform and later deciding to profile that android build. Should you have to remember to switch your build target to Android in order to connect the profiler to it over ADB? We decided that that's not an intuitive way to deal with this and that there is no good workaround of that UX issue.

Fixing the ADB connection stability is one part of improving the profiler connection. Fixing auto connect to not just look to attach to the first Editor Instance that "picks up the phone" on the device with the IP address that was built into the player by ticking the "Auto Connect Profiler" option is a separate, platform independent, goofiness that we know about and are looking to improve.

A PR to improve Autoconnect behaviour in this way (over Wifi) for that one towards 2022.1 is already open and we’ll look at the feasibility of backporting that. We don’t have a public issue for the Autoconnect fixes on that PR but you can track the status of the PR and its backports via this bug report that is fixed with the same set of changes. Note that after that PR we need to look at ADB Autoconnect issues separately as it works quite differently to wifi connection handling. We need to file a bug for that after it lands and then look at backporting that as well.

Side note: this should really only happen if USB connections change. Did you check if one of your USB cables might be faulty? If this is randomly occurring while the project is open and is not tied to USB connection changes or faulty cables, could you please file a separate bug report for that?

rz_0lento and alexrvn like this.
  9. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

This sounds good to me. I did wonder in the first place why it was a blocking operation even.

Thanks for clearing this up. The response I got sounded more like it's "by design" without implying nothing is going to change about it :)

So this happens every time now if I for example plug in an usb game controller? Faulty cables are always a possibility but I don't have many in use in the first place and those that are always attached are going to my mouse + keyboard so I would notice if they got dropped out occasionally (they don't).

10. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Yep. At least that's what should be happening. And moving it async is just gonna make it harder to see if it magically isn't doing it just then, albeit less annoying. It sounds like something might be wonky in the underlying USB connection change checks for you though so, yes a separate bug report for that would be good so that can get checked out as well. Also we might need to triangulate OS versions and hardware specifics that reproduce this behavior...

11. fherbst

fherbst

Thanks for responding @MartinTilo!

Regarding the "this should really only happen if USB connections change", the thing is that for any Quest VR development the USB connection changes often. E.g. when switching from Quest+Link to device, the connection might be gone for a moment. When Quest goes to sleep, the connection might be gone for a moment. When Link is lost the cable needs to be unplugged and plugged in again to get it back to work, causing a connection change.

So, "often-changing connection" is kind of by design for working with a detachable headset, and thus for that type of work this is pretty annoying. Great to hear you're working on making this async (again).

12. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

+1 here. This is very annoying issue. Only solution works for me is uninstalling android module. Modal "scanning USB devices" dialog blocks all of Unity menu including "Report a bug".

13. Arthur-LVGameDev

Arthur-LVGameDev

We suddenly started experiencing this issue in 2021.2.5f1 today (macOS Intel version - haven't seen it yet on the M1 version, yet). =|

We don't want Unity to talk to ADB at all. We have our own custom code to interface with ADB, to install & launch our app, etc (via custom editor windows and/or build pipeline code). Right now though, it's constantly scanning (and re-scanning), with 2-3 "tasks" running (bottom-right status bar area) to scan for devices.

We're also intermittently getting log warnings in console due to our dev machine being connected to >1 ADB device (via our own doing, not Unity's) -- that'll spew 3-5 LogWarning messages, crushing framerates & making routine development a chore.

All Profiler stuff is turned off, no builds are out there with 'auto-connect profiling' enabled, etc... Have checked all settings I can think of & find, so far no dice, continually seeing it 'scan for ADB devices' -- all windows are closed except the main editor window (ie no 'Build' window, no Profiler window, etc).

Plz fix.

Edit to add -- We *never* use ADB via USB connection. We're always using it via TCP/LAN and, generally, we're targeting N>3 devices when we run our [custom] install/run code. We just want Unity to not do *anything* with ADB. We don't mind going to extra-long lengths to turn on via-ADB profiling once we get to the optimization stage -- we just need to be able to get to that stage, but it's slow going with "multiple tasks" ("Android.ScanForAdb - Pooling [sic] ADB for connected devices") running constantly. =|

14. Arthur-LVGameDev

Arthur-LVGameDev

Updated to 2021.2.6f1 (macOS Intel) -- issue persists. Appears it doesn't happen until the 'Build Settings' menu is opened once, then it continues spamming the "refresh" tasks forever thereafter until you exit/re-open Unity editor completely.

As long as you don't pull up the Unity build UI, it *appears* to not occur. Will see if manually triggering build makes it happen or not; thus far we had been using the build window to create the builds & then our own custom tooling (editor window) that searched for ADB devices, showed a list of them with checkboxes, and had "install" / "run" / "logcat" / etc. commands [ie so you can batch-run commands against numerous Android devices].

If anyone has any ideas on preventing the issue, all ears -- til then, will just restart Unity after every build (argh - build times on this app are under 10-seconds, Unity relaunch approximately takes longer than that, heh). =]

15. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi @Arthur-LVGameDev,

Would it be possible for you to submit a bug report with a reproducible? The changes to make the scanning operation async landed during the beta so this sounds like a bug.

MartinTilo likes this.
  16. Arthur-LVGameDev

Arthur-LVGameDev

I'm only seeing it happen intermittently -- had it occurring last night, saw your reply from my laptop & was going to try to send a repro of it today, but this AM it isn't occurring [haven't opened or closed Unity at all].

Idk if it's because I have numerous ADB connections going or what. It'd be great to get a setting somewhere to just "turn off scanning" as a stop-gap, though (plus I don't want scanning anyways, would far prefer to manage ADB connections myself -- and the built-in ADB stuff appears to fail, or at least some of it fails, when you have multiple [LAN-connected] ADB devices connected too, at least in 2021.2.7f1).

LMK if I can help -- but submitting project as-is = doesn't repro reliably. The issue does exist & persist, however. =|

Best advice to repro it would be to get a few Android devices on your LAN, ADB connect to them directly/via terminal, and then play with the Build window or run an Android build [not to the device, just output it locally]. Pretty sure you'll hit it just by doing that.

17. dcdemars

dcdemars

I just started seeing this. I am using Unity 2021.3.2f1. I gather this can be related to what USB devices are connected; I have a USB MIDI controller that has only been connected to the system since yesterday. (It is not used in Unity for anything.)

I am not even building for Android, the Build Settings are set for iOS. According to the log, even when not in Play mode I am seeing the following messages:

Scanning for USB devices : 1.008ms
    Attempted to call .Dispose on an already disposed CancellationTokenSource
    Scanning for USB devices : 2.587ms
    Android Extension - Scanning For ADB Devices 3946 ms

When I am in play mode, the scene pauses and stutters whenever the "scanning for ADB devices" appears at the bottom of the window. The audio also stops and starts and, if I continue, eventually the audio stops and never starts again. At that point the Unity editor can't play any sound, even if I exit play mode and try to play a sound asset in the editor. I have to completely quit Unity and reopen the project to get sound back.

18. leegod

leegod

unity 2021.1.16f1 crashes after connect Corsair's iCUE Nexus USB device. When enter game play mode. 100% occurs.
    Now Even after connect Nintendo switch pro controller bluetooth connected.

19. Forest3

Forest3

I am seeing this background task starting randomnly while testing a non-Android project, I'm on Unity 2021.3.1f1. The issue tracker link mentioned at the top of this thread says it's fixed in 2022.1.X, 2021.2.X

Just thought in bringing it to your attention.

20. Rabadash8820

Rabadash8820

Not sure if this is the same bug, but I'm experiencing builds hanging indefinitely when the "Scanning For ADB Devices" log message appears. I first noticed the issue in Cloud Build, where my iOS builds were hanging for hours. I tried replicating the issue locally following this doc and indeed, local iOS batchmode builds are also hanging for hours; I have to just cancel them. This is on Unity 2021.3.10f1. The bug report says that this issue is fixed in 2021.2.x so I assumed it would also be fixed in 2021.3.x. @LeonhardP is that incorrect? Do I actually need to downgrade to 2021.2 or upgrade to 2022.1 in order to prevent builds hanging while scanning for ADB devices?

21. G_Wojo

G_Wojo

Unity Technologies

In my knowledge fix for "Scanning For ADB Devices" landed in the codebase long time ago. Maybe this is some new issue which should also be unrelated to "local iOS batchmode builds are also hanging for hours"

Generally regards ADB issues we are currently landing in trunk improvement for detection of the devices. From good news they will also be back ported all the way to 2020 with all the other changes for player connection which should improve experience of remote logging, player profiling and player memory profiling.

MartinTilo likes this.
  22. Rabadash8820

Rabadash8820

@G_Wojo Thanks for responding. Based on my comment and @Forest3's, it sounds like this issue was never fixed in 2021.3.x. Maybe this was a regression from 2021.2? Alternatively, my iOS-build-hanging issue might be a new/separate one from the slow-Editor issues reported in this thread, as you said. If that's the case, would you prefer that I start a separate thread?

23. G_Wojo

G_Wojo

Unity Technologies

Can you contact me on PM with details about this iOS hang ? I'm interested in command line which you use. I would check it locally and see if I can reproduce it and if it will be fixed by changes we bringing to 2021.3.

24. mcbauer

mcbauer

I get this issue ( Android Extension - Scanning For ADB Devices....) running 2021.3.14 whenever I connect my phone for testing.

I used to be able to just let it finish its business, but it takes longer and longer for it to wrap up. Just now I connected my device and within a minute there was over a 20 background tasks firing off scanning for ADB devices

Very annoying, but now, it's blocking me. I really would love to not have to close Unity, connect my device, copy over an APK, just to play test.

25. G_Wojo

G_Wojo

Unity Technologies

Hi, sorry to hear that you have an issue with this functionality. We landed recently big chunk of player connection improvements in 2021.3 branch. The latest batch landed in 2021.3.15f1, could you try to check if this will resolve your issue?

If not we have also one more PR where I explicitly targeted issue of improving whole "Scanning For ADB Devices". I will try to speed up its backporting to 2021.3.

MartinTilo likes this.
  26. mcbauer

mcbauer

No worries @G_Wojo , turns out it was related to Windows usb driver issue.

MartinTilo likes this.
  27. G_Wojo

G_Wojo

Unity Technologies

@mcbauer Good that you found solution. I will still backport this code as it improves our support of this functionality. If you would still have some issue with this or any player connection related stuff feel free to ping me directly in the message and I will try to assist with it.

28. Rabadash8820

Rabadash8820

@G_Wojo Could you update this thread when you backport that fix? I'm still getting related issues in 2021.3.16f1 on Cloud Build, so it would be great to know when this potential solution drops. Thank you!

29. G_Wojo

G_Wojo

Unity Technologies

30. G_Wojo

G_Wojo

Unity Technologies

2021.3.17f1 will be version with these improvements.

Rabadash8820 and MartinTilo like this.
  31. BoaNeo

BoaNeo

Is there a fix for this for 2022? I'm on 2022.1.24f1 currently, and have this constantly (Intel Mac, FWIW):

upload_2023-2-10_11-24-1.png

(Edit: I have no Android device connected, only an iPad, and disconnecting it makes no difference)

ZenUnity likes this.
  32. BoaNeo

BoaNeo

Hm, interesting... I had a USB thumb drive mounted, removing it got rid of the pesky progress thing... There's nothing Android about it, but I suspect it's a more generic USB issue?

33. G_Wojo

G_Wojo

Unity Technologies

@BoaNeo Sorry for late reply. My improvements landed in 2022.2.4f1 Before we move to the issue I think it would be worth explain why we even seeing scanning for adb devices.

Because of ADB being just an executable (I'm not aware of any library that could replace it) our only way to know connected devices is to actively query it using "adb devices". This of course would now work automatically when new device is connected. This is where scanning for devices comes in place. Whenever we detect a new USB device being connected we ask ADB for the list of connected devices, then parse its output. The reason why you see multiple of these requests is that ADB may not be refreshed right away and it may take up to a few seconds to update its list. Because of that behaviour, we can have the first and the second call returning 0 devices where the third one will return the expected device.

Sadly this solution has downsides.
    • We cannot detect devices connected using "adb connect".
    • If updating the list takes too long we still may not detect a new device.
    • Finally connecting any USB device that is not an ADB device will trigger scanning multiple times before we decide that this was not an ADB device and give up.
    Improvements I mentioned aim to minimise the impact of scanning by limiting our retries to only 3 with 1sec intervals. We also improved our async code and found a small issue. What you're seeing can be one of 3:
    1. You hit the issue that we resolved with this PR.
    2. Because of some unknown reasons your USB thumb drive reconnects all the time (we see issues where a broken cable could lead to that, but I have personally never seen this before with a USB stick)
    3. This is something new what we do not know about.
    I would recommend trying with a version equal or greater to 2022.2.4f with the USB thumb drive. If this issue is still present, send me more info and we will try to look into that.

ZenUnity, MartinTilo and Rabadash8820 like this.
  34. funkyCoty

funkyCoty

Is it possible to scan without the command prompts popping up? Frequently I'll be typing code and randomly these prompts pop up taking focus away, usually due to a random controller I have plugged in with a very slightly loose cable.

35. G_Wojo

G_Wojo

Unity Technologies

I created new issue for it and will see what we can do about it when we will find moment of time.

36. DeadCastles

DeadCastles

I'm having this same issue with 2021.3.15f1. I get the same "Scanning For ADB Devices" randomly during play mode as well as when I edit prefabs and scriptable objects. The issue started when I replaced the MOBO on my PC. I tried re-arranging my USB cables, but the issue persists.

37. mustafa_d

mustafa_d

=
    Is there a way to disable adb list? I'm building via CLI using batchmode for my CI integration. I tried 3 or 4 version but still stuck at `Android Extension - Scanning For ADB Devices` and this is called multiple times and I don't need this at all. I tried to delete the ADB executable but then the script stuck right before printing the adb log

38. G_Wojo

G_Wojo

Unity Technologies

If I good remember this should be resolved in 2022 version. There is a lot of improvement in this version that makes whole player connection more stable and few more is on the way.

39. G_Wojo

G_Wojo

Unity Technologies

In my knowledge, currently there is no way to disable this in the unity. What I can advice you can try to create simple replacement app for "abd list" which just print the same output without any processing. This is just idea but it should works.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
  40. Haze-Games

Haze-Games

Hello,
    I think we really need a way to disable completely this feature, at least through command line argument when running the Editor.

Here's the explanation:
    - This Scanning for ADB devices can happen anymore, even while the Editor is in play mode, in Windows Standalone mode
    - We run automated Play Mode tests in editor in Windows Standalone mode, in our Jenkins build pipeline
    - 70% of the time, one occurrence of this Scanning for ADB devices happens while the Play Mode test is running
    - This provokes an error instantly, failing the test, making us think there is an issue with the game, but it's in fact a Unity issue

Can you please help with minimizing the impact of this? We're using 2022.3.14f1, and here's the stracktrace:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Android Extension - Scanning For ADB Devices 200 ms
    2. Scanning for USB devices : 38.237ms
    3. Android Extension - Scanning For ADB Devices 0 ms
    4. Scanning for USB devices : 6.976ms
    5. Scanning for USB devices : 6.510ms
    6. ArgumentException: The tasks argument included a null value.
    7. Parameter name: tasks
    8.   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory.CheckMultiContinuationTasksAndCopy (System.Threading.Tasks.Task[] tasks) [0x0003a] in <a3b02d6f9b494355b946095ea1f25c54>:0
    9.   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1[TResult].ContinueWhenAllImpl (System.Threading.Tasks.Task[] tasks, System.Action`1[T] continuationAction, System.Threading.Tasks.TaskContinuationOptions continuationOptions, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken, System.Threading.Tasks.TaskScheduler scheduler) [0x00023] in <a3b02d6f9b494355b946095ea1f25c54>:0
    10.   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory.ContinueWhenAll (System.Threading.Tasks.Task[] tasks, System.Action`1[T] continuationAction) [0x00022] in <a3b02d6f9b494355b946095ea1f25c54>:0
    11.   at UnityEditor.Android.TargetScanWorker.<Stop>b__13_0 () [0x00005] in <0ced26b3dc0c441abfa02030fdc835ad>:0
    12.   at UnityEditor.EditorApplication+<>c__DisplayClass111_0.<CallDelayed>b__0 () [0x00033] in <ac8a1d1a125546cf82b0ec17802fc7c2>:0
    13.   at (wrapper delegate-invoke) <Module>.invoke_void()
    14.   at UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_InvokeTickEvents () [0x0000a] in <ac8a1d1a125546cf82b0ec17802fc7c2>:0
    Any help would be appreciated,

Thank you,
    Charles

41. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

With that call-stack, that just looks like a bug. Could you please report a bug for this?

Haze-Games likes this.
  42. Orangy-Tang

Orangy-Tang

I agree, I'm seeing the same thing - the Android TargetScanWorker occasionally throwing an exception during an automated batch-mode Unity instance (either light baking or Play Mode tests).

Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentException: The tasks argument included a null value.
    2. Parameter name: tasks
    3.   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory.CheckMultiContinuationTasksAndCopy (System.Threading.Tasks.Task[] tasks) [0x0003a] in <27124aa0e30a41659b903b822b959bc7>:0
    4.   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1[TResult].ContinueWhenAllImpl (System.Threading.Tasks.Task[] tasks, System.Action`1[T] continuationAction, System.Threading.Tasks.TaskContinuationOptions continuationOptions, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken, System.Threading.Tasks.TaskScheduler scheduler) [0x00023] in <27124aa0e30a41659b903b822b959bc7>:0
    5.   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory.ContinueWhenAll (System.Threading.Tasks.Task[] tasks, System.Action`1[T] continuationAction) [0x00022] in <27124aa0e30a41659b903b822b959bc7>:0
    6.   at UnityEditor.Android.TargetScanWorker.<Stop>b__13_0 () [0x00005] in <1a9338a70cd64c718bc2b14b3805c8e8>:0
    7.   at UnityEditor.EditorApplication+<>c__DisplayClass111_0.<CallDelayed>b__0 () [0x00033] in <80a8ce1980c648dca8e68f0d8aa3b930>:0
    8.   at (wrapper delegate-invoke) <Module>.invoke_void()
    9.   at UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_InvokeTickEvents () [0x0000a] in <80a8ce1980c648dca8e68f0d8aa3b930>:0
    Unity 2022.3.22f1
    Windows 10 64bit

43. Orangy-Tang

Orangy-Tang

Reported as bug IN-73250.

MartinTilo likes this.
  44. matheus_inmotionvr

matheus_inmotionvr

I'm a bit confused. Was this fixed for 2021.3.X? I'm running 2021.3.36 and I'm still experiencing this issue, both in local batch mode and with Unity Cloud Build. I've opened a ticket on Unity Cloud Build about it because I thought it was something on their end, but now it's also happening locally.

45. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

There were things fixed on 2021.3.17f1 and more fixes on 2022.3 but apparently that wasn't all of it. So thank you for the bug report. It'll find its way to the right team.

matheus_inmotionvr likes this.
  46. matheus_inmotionvr

matheus_inmotionvr

Just to clarify: I didn't submit a bug report. I opened a support ticket on Build Automation. Hopefully that's enough.

47. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Ah, well that might lead to an ask to file a bug report.

48. matheus_inmotionvr

matheus_inmotionvr

Bug reported. Number IN-73508.

MartinTilo likes this.
  49. matheus_inmotionvr

matheus_inmotionvr

Update on the bug report: "Your request status has changed to Closed with resolution Won't Fix."

Thank you for reporting a bug to Unity.

We have reviewed the issue carefully, and in this case, the team is unable to prioritize fixing this bug. There are a number of reasons we make this decision, including the impact and severity of the issue across our user and customer base, and the possibility that future plans may solve the problem in a different way, or that a workaround for the bug may be available.

Today we will be closing this case. Thank you again for taking the time to report this issue, and please let us know if there is anything else that changes the impact or severity of this issue.

Well, I tried. This feels great.

50. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Thanks for letting me know, I'll see if I can do something about that.