Search Unity

Games [Android] Mmo 2D or 2.5D , I can not choose...

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by shuskry, Dec 18, 2018.

1. shuskry

shuskry

Hi Everybody ! ( Sorry about my english)
    I'm doing a mmo(rpg) on android since few month , and I have some problem too choose between two different style of Gameplay. For now my game is on 2.5D but recently I find a other way wich work as well .

2D style:

2.5D style:

*If I choose 2D style, I can add some good things like monster in background who will throw some trap to dodge on the road.
    I can more Optimize draw call for sprite and win huuuuge GPU cost, and add a lot of grahic effect,
    So much less work. just 2 direction to go and work
    But I loose the "liberty" of movement and change so much the gameplay ...

* For the 2.5D , it was my first choice at the beggening because I'm a huge fan of mmorpg, and i can't see them in 2D lmao.
    But on Andoid, optimization is very hard with light/ sprite 2d with a lot of alpha ... so i have to limited the number of element on the map to reduce drawcall( even with all sprite in alpha and all other solution to optimize )

So ! For finish as simple I can, What do you prefer ? :D
    ( Please don't talk about other things , i just create these 2 scene for the exemple and have a equivalent of the map in 2 different style ^^ )

Have a good day !

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  2. kdgalla

kdgalla

Even if there is no jumping in your game, there are lots of creative ways to get around this limitation.

For example, I've seen 2D RPGs where you play a short 2D section and then the game shows you map where you select from two or three branching paths. Then the game takes you to a different 2D section depending on which path you choose, but at the end of each section, you wind up back at the map with different route choices. So even though you can only walk in 2 directions, there are still a lot of choices on where you go and the world is open and nonlinear.

you can also add choices within the level itself by adding doors, ladders, etc. that instantly take you to different sections.

3. shuskry

shuskry

Thanks for helping Me!

Yeah , add a jump fonctionnality and a lot of different path can be a very good idea !
    But for now , i want to know if change the style of view of my game is or not a good idea ...

For now, i think that some part of the game like exploration and kill monster to up level will be in Top down view(2.5D )
    and change the view when you enter in some area like dungeon for the 2D view , to add some trap and other animation in back ground, and when the boss coming , when the player enter in the last room , come back in the Top down view :)
    (It will be a multiplayer game with 8 player max/room , don't know is this info is useful)

So , what style of view do you like @kdgalla ?
    And thanks again for your anwser!