Search Unity

Android market upload hangs - Unity 3 beta 7

Discussion in 'Android' started by aerende, Sep 8, 2010.

1. aerende

aerende

I'm having trouble uploading a Unity created game to the Android market. Previously I've uploaded a normal XML and Java based Android Medical app and that is currently being sold in the Android market.

I have created a version of my game using Unity 3 beta 7 and it runs fine on the Nexus One Android phone. When I upload the APK file to the Android market using the Chrome browser, the upload stops after about 10 seconds. The APK file is 28 MB. Subsequently when I try to upload a screenshot, it says that I need to upload an APK file first, which makes me think that the APK file upload stopped before completing.

Does anyone know how to figure out why the upload of the APK file stops?

2. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

I would try Firefox.

3. aerende

aerende

I tried Firefox and the upload hangs with the spinning circle just going round and round. The Safari browser does the same thing, the upload never completes and the spinning circle keeps spinning.

I wonder if there is something wrong with the AndroidManifest.xml file. But it appears to be in a binary format. Does anyone know how to translate this binary format of the AndroidManifest.xml file into ASCII?

4. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

We've tried updating one of our example apps on the market, using the RC1, and it worked fine. Sounds more like a network problem to me.

So far I have never seen the upload hang because of faulty settings in the manifest. If any of the settings in the manifest are deemed faulty, the website will tell you after processing the .apk.
    From your description it sounds like not even the upload has finished, so any processing would not have been started yet.

AFAIK there is no "official" way to decompile the manifest once it sits inside the .apk. But if you really want to inspect the generated manifest you can find it under Temp/StagingArea/AndroidManifest.xml after building your app.

5. xcodeusa

xcodeusa

Hey,

I had the same problem once. I ended up deleting my plugins and it uploaded. Then I realized I had source code in my plugins folder. After I deleted that, the apk was able to upload. Maybe that's the problem? You have source code somewhere in there that is not C# script or javascript?

Also, there's a 26.3 MB apk size limit on the android market. afaik. You'll have some issues there. It only tells you when there's a problem with the apk AFTER it uploads.

6. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

I think that was just a coincidence; Unity Editor in Android mode will completely ignore files under Plugins/ that don't have the extension .so or .jar.

7. aerende

aerende

The problem turned out to be that the Android market has a 25 MB limit on the APK file size. Once I got the APK file size below 25 MB, then the upload worked fine.