Search Unity

1. All Pro and Enterprise subscribers: find helpful & inspiring creative, tech, and business know-how in the new Unity Success Hub. Sign in to stay up to date.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Feedback Android Logcat Package Feedback

Discussion in 'Android' started by Tomas1856, Dec 8, 2018.

1. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Since one latest update something changed: On 1.2.1 every time we make any build on any different platform (Xbox/Playstation/Switch etc.) android logcat will popup an empty window, which is really annoying.

Where/how can we turn this off, without having to remove the package?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  2. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Top left corner of that window should have 'Auto run' as a button toggle for that

3. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

That's certainly a bug, but yes you can disable this with AutoRun toggle

4. vonSchlank

vonSchlank

How can i change font size and color? It's quiet unreadable. :-/

5. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Preferences->Android Logcat Settings

6. vonSchlank

vonSchlank

Thank you!

7. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

This doens't work: The AutoRun setting isn't saved to a file we can commit to version control. And while on iOS or any other platform, the AutoRun toggle is not accesible because the logcat window only shows that you need to be on Android...

8. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

In 1.2.1 version, it shows on any active platform. But either way, in 1.2.2 even with Auto Run On, the logcat won't appear if active platform is not Android

9. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi Everyone,

I'm just wondering if it's possible to parse logcat at runtime with this package?.

Sometime I'm playing dev builds away from the dev setup, so being able to view the logs in-game would make things a whole lot easier. I'm loath to install a logcat app as these require root access.

If not, is this something that could be (or is) under consideration please?

That said, ideally I would like to read the logs on all platforms (Windows, Android & iOS) and I have been looking into the likes of NLog. But having a cross platform solution that uses the native logs is preferable.

10. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

I don't think this will be ever possible, at least with this package, since this is Editor only package, while you're talking about expanding the runtime part.

There was actually an idea to have a shared iOS/Android solution in regards to logs, but iOS doesn't provide the flexibility as Android provides, so it never happened. The item to have iOS logs is still on internal roadmap, but it's very low priority, not even talking about Windows :)

Hope that helps a bit.

ROBYER1 and PeachyPixels like this.
  11. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi Tomas,

Thanks for the reply. Yes it did help, good to know where things stand.

Tbh I just came across a fantastic cross platform debugging solution on the Asset Store. Even better is that it piggy backs off the standard logging on each platform. So zero code changes and a nice in-app console & stats screen etc.

I still think a cross platform solution in Unity would be a good idea though, even if just to read the logs at runtime.

12. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Could you share which solution is this? Curious about it.

P.S I am not sure if you're aware but from Unity's Console Window you can connect to running player for any platform (similar like profiler), and that will show you logs, but those logs are limited to the ones done via Unity API like Debug.Log.

13. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Of course, it's...

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/gui/srdebugger-console-tools-on-device-27688

In all fairness, I haven't tested it on Android or iOS yet (so might be overselling) but it works very well on Windows. Interested to hear your thoughts on it, although feeling like I've hijacked this thread now. Sorry! :rolleyes:

Thanks, yes was aware. But I often find myself testing a sideloaded version of the game (away from a dev environment) and might encounter something that requires investigation there and then.

Tomas1856 likes this.
  14. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Looks like a great package, very polished, but if I understand correctly it limits itself to logs done via Debug.Log*, I might be wrong. That means if you do logging via Java on Android or ObjectiveC via iOS, it won't be displayed. Also wondering, what's the behavior during the app crash, probably you wouldn't get any logs then. Those are only guesses though.

PeachyPixels and ROBYER1 like this.
  15. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

I'm using IL2PP for all platforms, so my assumption (and I could very well be wrong here!) was that it should work consistently across all three.

Will be testing on the iOS & Android builds in the coming days, so will report back if it helps.

unityunity