Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Android/IOS - Download new levels after purchase

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Robert_Hildebrand, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Robert_Hildebrand

Robert_Hildebrand

I have a 2d puzzle game that has 7 free levels after which the user can pay for 7 more through the app store. I need to know that right way to download these new levels. I've read about using asset bundles but others have had problems extracting assets and placing them in the proper resource directories. Need advice here and code snippets. If you've got a mechanism that works reliably I would like to hear about it. I would like to create a mechanism that can handle audio, art, level data, etc. I'm seeing problems with others not being able to drop objects from in the resource folder. Surprised nobody has build an asset package that can do this in the Unity Store. Any help and best practices would be appreciated?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If you don't want to use Asset Bundles, I believe the typical approach is to just include all the data in the game and just set a flag (a bool) to say whether they have access to the paid for levels.

3. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

What format are your levels in?

AssetBundles are good if your levels are Unity Scenes, but that's not the only way to store them. For instance, I've had levels defined as XML files in the past, and those can just be downloaded from any web server.