Search Unity

Android In-App Updates

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by hardartcore, Nov 22, 2019.

1. hardartcore

hardartcore

Hi all,

I'm glad that I can be a part of such a community!!!

I want to share my first asset which is only for Android platform.

Asset Store Link: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/integration/android-in-app-updates-156655

As the title says, this asset let you check if there is an available update for your app, inform the user and download / install it. It's a new feature which is a part of Google Play Services Core library and the way it works is that it connects Play Store API and check if there is an update released of your game / app with a greater versionCode and handle it based on your settings.

There are two ways to handle the update:
    1. FLEXIBLE - which informs the user that there is an update and he can download it if he wants in background while he is playing the game. Once the download is complete the user can choose to install the update.

2. IMMEDIATE - once the script detects that there is an update it will download the update blocking the user to play / use the game or app and install it immediately. This is mostly used for critical fixes / updates.

And how it's working? What you have to do so you can be able to integrate it in your game?
    - Simple, just drag & drop a Prefab and you are good to go! : )

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me!

Happy UPDATING!

2. XazeRekt

XazeRekt

How did you manage to integrate it? Play Core Library for unity version is 1.3, in app updates requires play core 1.5.

3. hardartcore

hardartcore

It uses a native library which I developed which uses Play Core internally. I guess you are referring to this library:
    https://github.com/google/play-unity-plugins/releases/tag/v1.3.0
    which actually if you check the release notes tells that it uses the latest version of Play Core library:

But as far as I know the In-app Updates are still not part of that plugin, so if you wan to use it you will have to create a native handler around the API as I did with this plugin.

4. edenpixs

edenpixs

Will your android in-app update plugin works on my self published game via my website ??? I mean even if my game is not published on any app store. Can I still use this plugin ???

5. hardartcore

hardartcore

It will work only if your game is published in Google Play Store.

6. hardartcore

hardartcore