Search Unity

Bug Android IL2CPP (ARM7) build hangs on copy files

Discussion in 'Android' started by StormChaserDev, Feb 21, 2023.

1. StormChaserDev

StormChaserDev

Hello.

Since upgrading our project from Unity 2020.3 to Unity 2021.3 LTS we can't build Android release (IL2CPP) builds anymore. Everything seems to work until it comes to copying files. In this case there is a process called ld.gold which stacks up a lot of memory (it get's up to 20GB and plus if not canceled).
    This process seems to go on forever. I canceled it several times after 1-2h.
    As you can see in the screenshot Unity is displaying "CopyFiles ..../libil2cpp.dbg.so". I'm a bit confused about this as this is a release build so why are there any debug symbols getting created and copied?

I read some posts about this NDK bug for big projects. I don't know what "big" means, but our project is not a small indie project. Changing the IL2CPP config, increasing the engine stripping or setting the IL2CPP Code Generation to "Faster (smaller) builds" doesn't work. It always hangs at this point.

When looking into the editor.log file, this is what I can see:

Starting: /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.3.19f1/Unity.app/Contents/bee_backend --profile="Library/Bee/backend_profiler2.traceevents" --stdin-canary --dagfile="Library/Bee/Player828c2bac.dag" --continue-on-failure --dagfilejson="Library/Bee/Player828c2bac.dag.json" Player
    WorkingDir: /Users/USER/projects/PROJECT_NAME/UNITY_PROJECT

We tried on both, Windows and MacOS (both, Intel and Silikon).

Upgrading to Unity 2022.2 doesn't solve this.

Edit:
    Building only ARM64 actually works! So this seems to be an ARMv7 related problem. Building ARMv7 with IL2CPP config set to Release or Debug works.

Any ideas or help would be highly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
  2. Birdy-Bird

Birdy-Bird

Hi, did you ever find a solution for this?