Search Unity

[ANDROID][FREE][4.0+] 3D Rolling Ball Game FREE *BRAND NEW*

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Sempiternal, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

Check out our new kickstarter program! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1339557290/sempiternal-studios-free-online-mobile-multiplayer-0

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2080350433/blades-in-the-dark?ref=category

After 8 months of hard, dedicated work and countless hours spent breaking the keyboard, our second 3D game has finally been released to the Google Play Store!

Download and enjoy this new professional rolling ball game for FREE right now!

Enjoy beautiful graphics, excellent music, massive levels, and challenging scenarios as you try to roll your way to the end of each level!

NO IAP's required! Earning 3 stars alone on each level will allow you to purchase ALL 23 ball skins! Earn 3 stars by getting at least 80% of all coins in each level, earn two stars by getting between 60% and 79%, and anything less than 60% will only net you 1 coin, and motivation to try again!

Game Features:

- 25 levels(with more to come soon!)

- HD/3D graphics.

- Massive environments and awesome events.

- Constant support and updates!

- Analytics.

- Each level is unique with it's own theme!

- SILKY smooth framerate!

- Interesting puzzles and timing.

- Cool controls.

- Attention to detail.

- Interactive main menu and skin purchasing.

- Vastly improves hand-eye coordination!

- IT'S COMPLETELY FREE!!

- Compatible with all devices with Android 4.0+

- Perfect for kids, casuals, and hardcore gamers!

Link to game : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Sempiternal.Boundz

Like our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sempi...47438805379844

Tweet with us! https://twitter.com/SempiternalStud

Add us on instagram too while you're at it =D https://instagram.com/sempiternalstudios/

**OUTSTANDING ISSUES**

- Improvements in joystick control.

- Multiplayer will be added soon, most likely on a local level first then globally.

- More levels will be added soon! 25 is more than enough to satisfy you all for a while

- So far this is a zero bug release, however if any bugs appear they will be patched immediately!

- We will try to get the file size smaller soon.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  2. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

V1.0.5 update has been published and is ready to be updated. This update fixes a minor bug in level 2 and adds more analytic data for me to analyze.

3. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

V1.0.8 has been published! Some more analytic data and minor revisions have been implemented.

4. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

5. TheRaider

TheRaider

6. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

7. TheRaider

TheRaider

8. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

Maybe, maybe not. You could help by at least providing some feedback you know ^.^

9. TheRaider

TheRaider

Definitely not. You need to be honest and objective with yourself. I get you are proud of what you have done and you should be as not many people get to the release stage.

-The rolling ball genre has lots of quality games like labyrinth and super monkey ball (your game is more like the later) which are graphically superior.
    -The fact you have no shadow under the ball makes it disconnected from the environment and hard to see where it actually is.
    -While you have tried to put together large levels there doesn't appear to be a plan to levels to make them feel like environments.
    -You haven't really done any interface design. Your reward texts are just flat plain default fonts while your onscreen joysticks are straight over the top of your play areas blocking your view when you play.

Just take a look how many downloads you have and think about how realistic that goal is.

While it is a good first attempt at game, you will improve if you keep at it :)

10. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

- You would be surprised then, many rolling ball games don't use shadows because that cuts down performance DRAMATICALLY
    - Not sure what you really mean here.....
    - It was a choice between accelerometer or buttons. I don't really like the accelerometer, and I know a lot of people don't, so I went with buttons :D Believe it or not you are actually the first person to even bring this up haha.

As for downloads, the game hasn't even been out for more than a month, so of course it would still be low at this point, but thanks to analytics I can see that my downloads per day number increases every day.

Thanks for the feedback though, I definitely appreciate it! With summer coming up im definitely going to keep going at it =D

11. TheRaider

TheRaider

A lot of rolling ball games put a fake shadow under the ball with no significant performance hit. You can just use a projection.

Look at Mario, the environments are immersive and carefully crafted. Your levels just look like a random assortment of objects.

Most mobile games have the majority of downloads early, while this isn't always the case it certainly gives you a good feel of where the game is at.

GibTreaty likes this.
  12. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

I was thinking of using a fake shadow but it wouldn't work with my game because there are a lot of varying heights and degrees. When you say projection, is that something entirely different?

Depends which mario game you are talking about haha!

Well I know this is cliche but look at flappy birds..... First 8 months nothing and then one day it went boom, or look at Clash of Kings. Took a very long time for it to get to where it is now. I'm happy with the way things are going because I wasn't expecting an instant hit or anything like that, but as long as the downloads are constant i'm happy.

13. TheRaider

TheRaider

14. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

Ah thanks, I just messed with projectors real quick and it flat out failed like I thought it would.

Don't get me wrong, I really do want shadows in, but it simply isn't worth the massive loss in performance. Plus you are actually the first one to bring up the issue, so I don't think it is a big problem. I think I will figure something out if people really want it, but for now i'm putting shadows on a low priority.

15. TheRaider

TheRaider

Well that is just because you aren't using it right. I used it fine to create a shadow for a character with an app I made that is on display in a museum running on a low end/old device.

16. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

Not sure how I am using it wrong, I followed the doc that you sent me exactly..... The projection actually works, however it keeps acting as a mesh and we all know what happens when two different meshes try to overlay each other.....

Parented projector to ball.... Rolled ball around, projector keeps flickering with the mesh underneath it, not suitable. This is literally the same thing as just parenting a transparent flat circle underneath the ball lol.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  17. bigSadFace

bigSadFace

Do you have any screenshots to help diagnose the problem? Did you create your own projector or did you use the blob shadow that is/was part of the standard assets?

18. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

Sure, i'll get some screenshots up right now.

I used the standard blob projector that the doc referred to.

19. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

As you can see, I haven't even moved a spot and the blob constantly changes and flickers, is it because my projection is on the same exact level as my meshes?

20. bigSadFace

bigSadFace

21. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

Thanks for the link, I tried that too and it still didn't work. In your opinion do you think shadows are even worth it for a mobile game? If i'm going to use shadows ill just stick with hard shadows, but I haven't really seen anyone complain about shadows so for now i'm thinking ill leave that aspect alone for now and focus on other things.

22. bigSadFace

bigSadFace

I'd have to agree that without shadows it does give a very weird sense that the ball is floating. If there are any jumping mechanics in your game this may be a problem.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  23. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

I do agree with that point, ughhhh why do shadows have such high overhead -.- I would actually use the projector if my game was flat, but there are so many varying heights, gaps, and of course terrain that a projector would be complicated to use as opposed to just clicking enable shadows. I don't have any jumping mechanics honestly, but there are acceleration pads, teleports, and anti-gravity situations.

24. TheRaider

TheRaider

Also have a look at the quality settings. I remember running into this problem but I can't exactly remember how I fixed it. Obviously it is designed to project onto a mesh (or what is the point of it!).

Also on shadows in general plenty of mobile games that have much more complex graphics achieve shadows.

Have you looked at the profiler to see what is causing bottlenecks? I am pretty sure it is in the free version now (someone correct me if I am wrong).

25. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

Quality settings seem normal, and for me it keeps telling me I need the Pro version to use the profiler. I haven't upgraded to 5 tho.... Still on 4.6. Is it free on Unity5??

26. TheRaider

TheRaider

Profiler needs pro on the 4.x cycle. I am pretty sure they made it free in the 5.x cycle, although no 100% cause I have pro and can't test.

27. Zeblote

Zeblote

Profiler is included in the personal edition :D

Unity 5 generally runs faster anyways so you should upgrade that project if there are no major bugs in the way.

28. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

Sweet! Now I'm thinking of upgrading, my only reason for not upgrading in the first place is because last time I upgraded my Unity a project I was working on which was built on an older version became glitchy and weird on the upgraded Unity. But that profiler will help a lot.....

29. TheRaider

TheRaider

Just make a backup before doing it!

I haven't had any major issues than a few functions being depreciated (some of my projects are kind of old!)

30. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

True that!

What's your opinion on depreciated functions? In some of my code I have things like game object.setactive(true/false) and I get warnings saying it is obsolete.... Yes it still works. Weird, huh?

31. Zeblote

Zeblote

It means it will stop working in future versions but they're giving you some time to update your code without breaking everything at once

32. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

Have they removed any functions in unity5?

33. TheRaider

TheRaider

Don't use them, update as the message suggests.

Not weird at all. They are giving you a warning to fix your code before it gets removed all together. Really just good coding practice.

I am sure they have, but there are functions which would do the same thing better/easier/faster etc.

34. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

Ah I see, i'll probably upgrade to Unity5 once I redo some code, i'm really interested in their free profiler and their new physics 3.3x which apparently dramatically improves performance. If things work out I can probably fit in natural shadows without any real loss. Definitely excited!

35. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

I could have sworn this was a troll thread. The lack of artistic quality, polish and overall design is rather scary. This looks like a mash up of whatever art assets you could find, lazily thrown together with no grand plan in mind. It looks very poorly done, very poorly groomed and quite honestly not a good looking game. The art(?), the bad sounds, the horrible text without a font just looks bad. It doesn't look much like a game, let alone something that deserves how much your asking, or any for that matter.

Your normal maps are ridiculous, your textures tile and are all over the place, doesn't go together. The UI looks so out of place, the sounds and the map design(?) just don't fit in general. The lighting, the everything is just badly done and so this earns my thumbs down. :rolleyes:

GibTreaty likes this.
  36. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

Sorry it doesn't suit you, thanks for the feedback though ^.^