Search Unity

Android external display support

Discussion in 'Android' started by skydestinies, Feb 6, 2014.

1. skydestinies

skydestinies

Hello,
    I saw that iOS external display support was added 4.1 but not for Android.

I would like to be able to render to an external display in an android app.(http://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/Display.html)

- Will Android be supported in the future? (And what kind of timeline? In a months? Next year?)
    - Would it be possible for me implement external display support for Android in Unity on my own? Or is it something that only an update to Unity can provide?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

2. Agent_007

Agent_007

If you can implement the feature via extending UnityPlayerActivity, then it should be possible
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/PluginsForAndroid.html

3. skydestinies

skydestinies

Thanks for the reply.
    I can get access to the available Displays in Java, but then there's the question of how to get Unity to understand how to render to the second view port.
    The sample code for Unity's iOS support has Unity's camera setting its color buffer and render buffer to those of the Display.
    Would I need to implement that for Android's displays? If so, how would I go about adding the hook so that Unity can write directly to the render buffers of the external display.

4. Agent_007

Agent_007

For something like that (rendering to seconds screen via Unity camera), you would need Unity side support (since AFAIK there isn't an easy way to create a new OpenGL ES context for second display and pass it to Unity).

5. Graphitech

Graphitech

I'm interested in the topic, are there any news?