Search Unity

[Android] does URP heavier than Built-in on Android??

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Davood_Kharmanzar, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

hello guys,
    can someone inform me that does URP heavier than Built-in on Android?
    [for android 5.1 or up with glES 3.x + IL2CPP]
    thanks.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  2. neoshaman

neoshaman

URP is designed for mobile so no

3. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

but yes ... 60fps on built-in vs 8fps on URP?? :\

Ruslank100 likes this.
  4. neoshaman

neoshaman

Well that should be something the urp might be interested in. You should ping them with that specific fact.
    What's the target machine specs?

5. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

6. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

In URP is much more graphics features enabled by default. And it's not so obvious how to strip it down.

7. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

yes ... i removed all normal maps ... no GI ... just 1 directional light ... LDR ... little postpro :[
    no depth ... low shadow ... no pixel light :[

all textures are compressed ...

8. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

What posts you use?

9. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

10. neoshaman

neoshaman

Did you use post with build in?
    post is generally bad with mobile, especially tile based like mali GPU (they are all mali you share), At least post who sample neighbor like bloom (blur pass)

11. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

yup ... but built-in is PPv2 and URP have internal PP itself ...

12. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

If you find that UniversalRP performs worse than the built-in renderer with the same setup, then please submit a bug-report. Unity Technologies treats that as a bug as they explained in an URP related Unite talk.

If you have a project that runs fast with built-in and slow with URP, it would help if you submit a bug-report as described in this document:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

It's important that you report these issues together with a reproduction project if you want them to get fixed. If you don't do it, it might be a long time until someone else reports them or until Unity Technologies find them.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a bug-report Case number. Please post the Case number (number only, not the link) in this forum thread for Unity staff to pick up.

BATTLEKOT and JamesArndt like this.
  13. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

well, i can't waste my time to building several versions for testing :[

as my experience, everyting is working good [i mean colors and etc / not fps] on android 8.1 and up (probably 8.0) but URP does not compatible with android 6.0 devices ... white screens or black screens, grayed colors, foggy and mist and dusty screens ...

so, currently the best option is built-in ... very old ... so its safe, for all of devices and platforms ...
    and exists tons of assets and plugins to optimizing , like as imposters ... gpu instancing , culling and custom shaders and etc.

good luck :|

EDIT: THIS IS VERY OLD REPLY!!
    FOR NOW EVERYTHING ARE WORKING GREAT ON URP 7.1.8 + GAMMA COLORSPACE ;]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Ethwood, darcking99 and PedroSchabib like this.
  14. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

so, what is that mean Universal??
    means that it support just some of specific brands that they loving unity? or unity loving they? :D

15. neoshaman

neoshaman

No it's a common feature due to memory architecture, tile have local cache, sampling neighbor beyond the cache force a read in the main memory, which is slower and trash performance, which is why most post processing are not advised on mobile. Mali gpu also have special opengl implementations, so far as I know unity only use the generic keyword to optimise not vendor specific. Urp is supposed to take advantage of features like "local pixel storage memory" to optimise tile based effect with subpasses as much as possible. So unless you do a deep profiling yourself or implement it yourself, you have to file out a bug.

But yeah the loving is the only way unity can unlock secret features of a device, because there's literally hundreds of them, they can't love them all the same, love is attention, attention is time, time is finite.

andreiagmu likes this.
  16. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

At first - try to disable this useless passes.

Attached Files:

siyadeveloper likes this.
  17. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

thanks for your response :]

but i tested on Honor 7 phone with android 6.0 ... the GUI is good ... but all of 3ds are like as dusty and fog!! white mist screen!!

also, its working good on samsung J7 [2016] phone with android 8.1 or Mi 9T pro [Android 9] ...

so, i'm tired to trying and testing ...

why this project is so good on all of phones?? cus its built-in :]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yfkkr43seddi6tk/ArchVizPRO_Interior_Vol.6.apk?dl=1
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/urban/archvizpro-interior-vol-6-120489

EDIT: THIS IS VERY OLD REPLY!!
    FOR NOW EVERYTHING ARE WORKING GREAT ON URP 7.1.8 + GAMMA COLORSPACE ;]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  18. Andrey-Postelzhuk

Andrey-Postelzhuk

@Davood_Kharmanzar Thanks for reply editing. It's important to know before switching to URP.

frommars94 and mbhagat like this.
  19. dukenukem4d

dukenukem4d

I got higher FPS than using built in rendering engine on my game. But some features like light point doesn't give shadows or a little buggy, if you aren't using light points or shadows which aren't from global illumination, I think there are only gains on URP.