Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Android does not send push notifications

Discussion in 'Player Engagement' started by PortalArcher, May 22, 2023.

1. PortalArcher

PortalArcher

For some reason I am not recieving push notifications on my published game.
    What could be wrong if test messages works fine for me?

2. VladS_Unity

VladS_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hello, thanks for reaching out!

To clarify, you've been able to send test notifications to your game using the Push Notifications test tool within the "Settings" page, but none to your published version of the game?

Has your published game ever received notifications before and it's just recently that it's been experiencing issues, or have you never been able to receive the notifications? And does this issue occur only with Android, not with iOS (if you use that too)?

Finally, have you double-checked that you have the correct keys set for the correct environment?

3. PortalArcher

PortalArcher

I just started using unity notifications.
    I am using only android. I am recieving test notifications (both test and composed by myself)
    But, if I schedule any notification in the unity dashboard, none of them are reaching to the players.
    I double checked all data, including any spaces in the end of lines. All seems fine (and should be fine since I get test messages, right?)
    So my question is - What could be wrong if test pushes are works fine?
    Also I have no idea what gives me information below:

123.png

4. VladS_Unity

VladS_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hey again, thanks for answering my questions!

To answer your question, the information in the graph is provided by the Notification Sender, which sends the push notifications to all end-user devices who registered themselves for notifications through the game.
    • "Send Attempts" refers to how many devices were targeted with the notification from the ones which registered.
    • "Fails" refers to any failed notification attempt, including but not limited to failures coming from the device token used being invalid, usually caused by the end-device uninstalling the game and therefore invalidating the token.
    • "Opens" refers to users opening the game by pressing the Push Notification received.
    Considering the data above and the fact that you are able to send test notifications to your devices, I can only assume that the notifications are being sent, with the failures you are seeing more than likely being caused by some of the registered tokens becoming invalid from the game being uninstalled from some of the end-user devices. The "Opens" data specifically means that some of the users both received the push notification and also opened the app through it.

Could I ask how you are certain that none of your players are receiving any of the notifications? If you are seeing this data and you're also able to send test notification to your devices but you are indeed certain that none of your players have received the notification, it might be indicative of a bug and we'd be more than happy to investigate further.

5. PortalArcher

PortalArcher

Well, first of all, I didn't get any pushes on my device, when installed from google market. And I should get it with 100% probability, right?
    I have ~100 installs per day. I guess more then 3 people allowed pushes to pop up, when the app asked for this.
    I am not 100% certain, but such small amount seems very weird.

Also "Opens" data was value of 3 for several days. Happened for various of notifications I tried to create.

6. VladS_Unity

VladS_Unity

Unity Technologies

Indeed, if your campaign is targeting "All Players", it should also send you a notification alongside everyone else so long as you have Push Notifications permissions enabled.

I should clarify that the "Opens" data only reflects how many people opened the app using the notification. If the notification was received but then dismissed or the app was opened through normal means (using the App Icon), "Opens" doesn't increment.

I'll be directly messaging you to ask for more details about your game so that we can investigate further.

7. a2zescapegames

a2zescapegames

I am also having the same issue. I am receiving test notifications, but I haven't received the scheduled notification. I have installed my game and enabled push notification permissions, but I have been waiting for 7 days and nothing has happened. When I send a test notification using the token, I receive the push message.

8. pgescapegames

pgescapegames

We are experiencing the same issue. While Unity's potential is acknowledged, it isn't a resolution by itself. It's understood that beta versions may have bugs, but these issues need to be addressed. If not, many users will be hesitant to try out your beta features.

9. FDUnity-10

FDUnity-10

Any update on this?

10. alexcary18

alexcary18

If your Android device isn't sending push notifications, it could be due to various reasons such as battery optimization settings, app permissions, or network issues. Double-check your settings, ensure the app has necessary permissions, and troubleshoot network connectivity to ensure smooth notification delivery for a seamless user experience.Gb Whatsapp Pro Download

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024 at 4:37 PM